How many hours should I work a week so I won’t go over my $1,000 work study money .?

So for college I’m doing work study to earn cash . We get $1,000 a semester . We can’t go over the $1,000 balance . So I’m thinking to not go over that balance I should work maybe 10 hours a week . We get paid bi weekly . Someone help me out

Based on your comments to questions about pay rate and number of weeks, you can't average more then 9.6 hours a week. If anyone has to tell you how to reach that number, you should have flunked 5th grade math.

My apologies to 5th graders that are insulted by that statement.

• Lili

Jordan, STEVEN is right. It really is basic math, and if you can't do it, you do not belong in higher education.

You can't seriously be in college and not know how to figure this out. My tax dollars at work, for sure.

Take the $1000 and divide it by your hourly pay rate. That gives you the number of hours you can work during the semester. If you want the same number of hours each week, divide again by the number of weeks in the semester. If you can't perform these calculations, you should drop out of college and put an application in at McDonald's.

• Trivial One

Jordan: you are not "very smart" if, as a college student, you are not confident about the answer to a third-grade math question.

• Judy

How many weeks is a semester? How much do you make per hour/

• John5 months agoReport

Now, pull out your calculator. You have all you need to figure it out on your own.

The department that hires you should be helping you figure that out. But it really depends what minimum wage is in your state. For example if they pay $13/hour then $1,000/13 = 76.92 hours. Also make sure that award is for the semester and not the whole year? Given that there are about 14 weeks in a semester then you can work 5.42 or just work 5.5 for 13 weeks and if you have a little extra at the end maybe you can work an extra day near the end to use it up. But you'll have to adjust for what they pay you per hour. If they only pay $12/hour then you can work a little bit more. And there may be some weeks that have holidays on the days you would normally work. The person that hires you should know all of this and it supposed to keep an "award tracker" - you of course should check them but they are supposed to ensure that they don't go over.

• jordan5 months agoReport

She hasn’t mentioned an award trackers and the pay is 8.00

Huh? Well how much do you earn per hour?

If you're making $8/hr, you would need to work 125 hours total to get exactly $1000. A semester at most schools is about 15 weeks, so you should work 8 hours and 20 minutes a week if you want to space it out evenly. You can do 10 hours a week and then stop working after 12.5 weeks.