Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 6 months ago

Does the variety of women who have been raped prove that physical attractiveness never contributes to a man’s choice of whom to rape?

If all rapists were given a hypothetical scenario in which they had to choose between two equally vulnerable potential victims, one who they find to be physically attractive and the other they find to be physically unattractive, would it be a 50/50 split? Somehow I doubt it.

• Foofa

The fact that nuns, the elderly and gravely disabled people have been raped does tend to support the idea that this is a crime of power more than a crime of passion. Also the fact that straight men have raped other men, such as in prison scenarios.

Stay away from words like always, everybody, never, etc. I can easily imagine one guy raping a pretty woman because of her prettiness, him want to have it, power etc. Another man would choose a not so pretty woman over a pretty one because the first has an aura of easy vulnerability which turns him on.

A saw a documentary about a killer who preyed on women. They showed him pictures of different women walking down the street and he could see the one who was most vulnerable, by the manner in which she walked. They played the video back in slow motion and explained the different types of walking....Just like a master musician can hear every discordant sound, these people study their victims and see in them things that you and I wouldn't even notice.

I would surmise that though there are commonalities between predators and they can be classed, there are also different motivations, etc.

There are all kinds of men and all kinds of attraction. I knew a guy that would only go out with women who weighed over 200 pounds.

I'm the survivor of a brutal rape at knifepoint. It was dark, when he was arrested he testified that he had never seen me before, I was just a female who crossed his line of sight. My rape was very brutal, I was hospitalized, and it was all about HIS anger and frustration.

Do men rape women for different reasons? Possibly.

In MY case attractiveness or lack of attractiveness or what I was wearing or the color of my hair - all were meaningless. I was female, he "hates" females (according to him), and I crossed his line of vision.

I would believe experience over theory.

• Anonymous6 months agoReport

I’m sorry that happened to you, but the problem with anecdotal evidence is that there are hundreds of thousands of other instances of rape, so you can’t draw broad conclusions from even thousands of them, let alone one.

No, because rape is about control, not attraction.

sick fvked men have certain types they want, they want to control her, punish her.

What a sick minded psychotic question

• firo6 months agoReport

You need psychological help

"Does the variety of women who have been raped prove that physical attractiveness never contributes to a man’s choice of whom to rape?"

No. That's jumping the gun on assumptions. One could just as easily surmise that the vast variety proves that physical attractiveness does contribute to a rapists choice on who to rape based on the individual rapists preference for what he or she finds attractive.

Let's face it ... we really don't have all the answers regarding rape, otherwise we'd be on our way to solving this human problem. We need to bear in mind that the idea that rape is only about power is a feminist construct that was just made up by feminist Susan Brownmiller. See here:

The Myth that Rape is About Power

https://difficultrun.nathanielgivens.com/2014/09/0...

“The original source of the idea that sexual assault is about violence and power instead of sex or lust doesn’t come from a scientist or an academic study.2 It comes from a feminist writer named Susan Brownmiller who invented the theory pretty much from scratch for her 1975 book Against Our Will: Men, Women, and Rape.”

Other than this, we simply cannot state with any certainty how much attractiveness plays into this. The one thing we can all be certain about is that (stranger) rape is a crime of OPPORTUNITY. Limiting the opportunity for this crime is still the best method of preventing it, regardless of how feminists feel about that approach.

.

• Elana

Stranger rape? Maybe.

But in the case of aquaintance rape, the rape occurs because the person is attracted and repelled (and clearly can't take "no"). Sure, it's a power thing, but its roots still comes from the underlying relationship.

Rape is about power or desperation. If you give them choices, they'll pick either the pretty one because they're physically attracted. Or they'll pick the bland one because they don't want to get the pretty one dirty. 🥴

So yes. It IS a 5050 split. Either way, they're naturally h0rny. So... anything with a vagina will do. Dogs too.

• DontTellMe

Rape is about gaining power over rape victims. Desperation, same difference. Am thinking in terms of serial killers who rape murdered corpses post mortem.