What's the better option for a 23 year old. GED or HS diploma??

What would be the better option for a 23 year old who works full time, a GED or HS diploma??

I've taken 3/4 of the GED tests, but cannot for the life of me, pass the Math GED since I've ALWAYS had trouble in math. I passed the other 3 GED tests in 2014, and it's now 2019, and I can't even count how many times I've failed the math GED.

My issue is, I live in a tiny tiny town, with little to no resources. We have a GED program, but it's not consistent and at awkward times that conflict with my work schedule.

I've recently discovered we have an Adult education program, where adults can earn an actual HS diploma. However, it's during the day, and is pretty lengthy(like a year long). It would also conflict with work hours, and I'd almost certainly have to quit my job.

So what do you think is the best option???

I'm feeling kind of down, because I feel like I've waited so long, to the point where I'll never have the time to go and do either one of them because of work.

6 Answers

  • 6 months ago

    Get the GED. Just study or join a study group for the math.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

    Can't you just buy one for $50 bucks from a diploma mill or print one of your own for nearly free? It's amazing what computers can do these days. Afterall, that adult education program is nothing more than a money-making scam dreamt up by someone who needs to earn their own living. Survival of the fittest out there...

    Once you reach a certain age and have so much life experience it becomes irrelevant at that point anyway. I know of an older guy who worked in a military civilian job and dropped outta high school. He actually presents himself as a very intelligent guy. Of course, he did get his GED and attend community college eventually.

    Dropping out of school is not the end of the road for you. You have options. You just gotta figure out what they are.

    P.S. the people who run the adult education program in your area should wise the f*ck up and add an evening session to accommodate working adults.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

    better question, what kind of loser 23 year old doesn't have a high school diploma?!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

    GED and HS diploma are technically equivalent. Some employers might think GED people were those who couldn't pass HS, i.e. dumber, but OTOH the fact that you cared enough to go back for your GED counts for something.

    I'm guessing the math isn't really beyond your intelligence, you just need a little help. You could study on your own from a GED guide, but you've already tried that, right? So you just need help.

    You could find a friend who can answer questions, and call them when you need help. This might be easy because HS math is really not beyond most people (or you either!)

    Or you could get really serious and advertise on Craigslist for a math tutor, or someone who understands HS level math to help you. Tutoring can be expensive for some things, but HS level math should be easier because it's not something only a few people can understand. You might even find a volunteer.

    Kaz says nobody ever asked him/her to see their HS diploma. That's true for me too. You could probably get away with lying about it.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

    The adult education program is not going to disappear tomorrow.

    I think the best option is for you to:

    - get out of your head that you are bad at math.

    - find someone that can help you with math. Maybe a neighbor, someone at a local community college, etc (heck, if you leave your email address... I'll even work with you a few hours a month).

    - gain confidence in your math ability

    - take the test a few more times

    - if you are asking this same question a year from now, than join the adult ed class then.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Kaz
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

    If you're supporting yourself you can't afford to take (possibly) a year off to get a HS diploma - I'd get the GED.

    Incidentally, no one has ever asked to see my HS Diploma. Not once. (There more interested in college degrees). Good luck.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.