red asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 6 months ago

how do you do chemical reactions? like if I have CO2 and add it to H20 how do I know the result, like how to figure it out with math n stuf?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Chemical reactions ....

Carbon dioxide dissolves in water and reacts to a slight extent to make hydrogen ions and bicarbonate ions. It's something you hear (read) and remember.

CO2(aq) + H2O(l) <==> H+ + HCO3^- .................... Ka is small

A small value of the acid dissociation constant Ka indicates that the equilibrium lies far to the left, meaning that most of the CO2 in water STAYS CO2 and does not react.

Chemistry is not "all math and stuff", and you don't use math to figure out a chemical reaction. Judging from the caliber of your question, I'm afraid that much of what I wrote above may be lost on you.

You might be tempted to write (or someone may tell you to write)...

CO2 + H2O --> H2CO3

But if you did, it would be wrong, since there are no "carbonic acid" molecules in aqueous solution. They simply don't exist. What does exist in water are small amounts of hydrogen ions, H+, and bicarbonate ions, HCO3^-, and mostly just dissolved carbon dioxide.

• 6 months ago

CO2 does not react with H2O

• Dr W
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

incorrect

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Read a chemistry book about balancing reactions. Not something that can be explained in a few sentences.

• red6 months agoReport

you didn't answer my question, I said how to find products of chemical reactions not "howt to balance chemical reactions"

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.