Katie asked in PetsCats · 7 months ago

How do I ask to be paid after pet sitting?

So a casual friend of mine recently contacted me to pet sit her cats. Her family would be gone about 11 days while traveling to Canada. It was odd that she just contacted me out of the blue (we are not close), however I agreed. Her mother wrote me a two pages list of chores to do and gave me a half hour tour of the house about a week in advance.

She wanted me to change the 4 litter boxes once a day, feed the cats wet and dry food twice a day, change the cats water 3 times a day, feed the fish twice a day, change the pool skimmer box everyday (it was so gross!), and play with the cats daily. Her mom also texted me a ton to make sure I was doing my job. I sent her pictures of her cats as requested and even changed the pool water.

The family just came back home about 3 days ago. So far, I have not received so much as a thank you. I am frustrated because it was a lot of pressure on me to take care of these cats. I also cannot drive yet, so I had to bug my mom to drive me to their house 3 times per day. How should I ask if I am going to be paid? Payment isn’t even a big deal, but a gracious thank you would be just as good. Adding fuel to the fire, my friend just posted that they bought another cat yesterday. Ugh

I would ask the mom. Maybe get your mom to be there when you talk to her or do it for you? Tell her that you thought you were being paid & you were just wondering if you didnt understood the agreement. I pet sit for people all the time & dont ask about payment before hand but everyone knows that I pet sit & take whatever payment they can afford (if its a ordeal then I will talk about a higher payment before hand).

She definitely should pay you. Especially if your young & this is the first time you have done this. You didn’t know to ask before hand, she’s an adult & has hired house sitters before. She is taking advantage of the situation if she asked so much of you and isn’t paying you.

My averaged payment is 25-30 a day total for neighbors. Multiple pets are 5 extra an animal (Some difficult dogs are 10 extra). House chores 1x a week is an extra 10-15. If Im driving over 15 minuet 2x a day than its 15 more added on. If Im going 3x a day it’s another 10-15 & gas for the extra trip

• Kat Heart7 months agoReport

P.S. Next time you house sit (for someone else), try to set up a contact schedule before hand. Ask if they would like texts and pictures at every visit or just meals or evenings, and tell them that you’ll text if you have any questions. Otherwise they’ll drive you nuts. Don’t let this scare you off!

• GEEGEE

Create an invoice for the total you agreed to accept as payment, and send it to your friend, or her mother. I'd be inclined to send it to the mother. Just say it was a pleasure looking after their pets, you look forward to doing so again, and attached is my invoice.

• PAMELA

You have be takren for a fool, you should have settled on a price before you baby sat the animals, they have no need or reason now to pay you anything! do not do this again, always have a payment agreed to, and have half the money paid before you start to babysit!

Was an amount to pay you agreed upon before they left? If not then they never committed to paying you. Why would not ASK what you're being paid?

Do you have pets? If so then your friend probably assumed that she'd repay the favor when you needed it.

If you didn't tell them before that you wanted to be paid, and how much, you really can't ask after. Yes, they should thank you, but money apparently wasn't mentioned as part of the deal. Call this 'live and learn'. Make what you expect clear at the beginning.

• Ocimom

Payment should have been discussed PRIOR to them leaving. That is an awful lot of work to do. When we go on vacation we just have someone come in twice a day to feed them and check water. The litter pans don't have to be cleaned every day since they are deeper ones, but I'll ask them to dump and refill them about 3-4 days into the week we are gone.

For all that to be done each day, they should pay you at least $25-30 PER day!

• patty

if payment wasn't mentioned before u did the job then u won't be.

• *****

Payment should have been agreed upon (amount and when due) BEFORE you agreed to provide the service. At this point, you can ask if they intend to pay you, but have no leg to stand on if they decline. Next time, arrange a rate and due date in writing before agreeing to do it. I pet sat for neighbors and friends as a teen. The payment was agreed on ahead of time and a check left with their instructions.

i just wouldnt do it again if theyre going to treat you like that

I would say express your concerns probably, though how depends on their personality and how they react to things like that (how easily they take offense). If they are very rude or something, I would probably say I wouldn't petsit their pets anymore. It could very easily be they are busy and it slipped their mind.