Laura asked in HealthOther - Health · 6 months ago

Worried I'll get sick...?

My friends dared me to snort dirt and gross water and I went through with both. I breathed in a lot of the dirty water. Am I actually going to get sick? I'm not sure if my immune system will protect me or not. (Yes I know this was stupid). But do you think I'll get sick, and if I do, when?

• Joe

If they told you to jump off a bridge would you do it...?

You're gonna **** your pants

Not much of friends are they?

It is quite likely you exposed yourself to dangerous bacteria.

Go to your physician for lab tests.

Mucous membranes are close to the brain, and an easy way to be infected.

hopefully you wont, but if you do call your doctor and ask hirn about it and get different friends

if the gross water was freshwater then you have a possibility to get brain eating amoeba infection, which presents like meningitis. Its easier to get in hot climates.

• Laura6 months agoReport

really? it was from a river.

Worrying isn't going to help. IF the bacteria that is in dirt or the water isn't one your body already has antibodies against, then it is possible you'll get an infection. If your nose stopped most of the particles you probably won't get sick, but there is always a chance that you could get an infection in your sinuses or even in you lungs if the dirt particles actually make it into your lungs. It is also possible that the dirt or water contained viruses and or fungus -- those are all pretty normal part of "dirt." Infections from those are harder to treat.

If you get sick, you go to the doctor and tell them what you did so they have a chance of providing the right medication and treatment for you.

There's no way to know. Your immune system might be strong enough to fight off the bacteria. Meanwhile, stop accepting dares and doing stupid stuff.