Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

Was This Rude?

I'm a 21 year old that just graduated.

Today at work I was packing and my boss walked by and asked how i was doing.

I smiled and said, "Doing good. Making a lot of progress!"

And he loudly sneered, "Or not" as he walked by.

This guy is in his 40's and I felt really uncomfortable.

No I was packing a delivery for the order in the retail job.

@Damien How is what I said silly or arrogant? I was trying to be positive.

• steve

Maybe you thought you were doing great but he could spot minor mistakes in what you were doing that by saying 'Or not' he hoped you would realise.

I am afraid you are going to learn that some of your future bosses and colleagues are not nice people.

I have had bosses that were just on a power trip and put all of us down at every opportunity.

But don't let that put you off most have been wonderful and supportive.

If you are happy you were doing a good proficient job of what you were doing at the time I would ignore it. He might be your boss but if it was a one off he might just have been having a bad day.

If it is a regular occurrence then speak to him and ask what his problem is and as your boss if you are doing something wrong could he show you how to do it right?

If that doesn't work speak to HR and make a complaint.

yup-he was rude--no need for that comment...let's just hope he was working out some kind of personal issue.

• GEEGEE

Your response to his question Is sort of confusing. Making progress at what? Packing the box?

His answer was sarcastic, but if packing a box is something you do often, the "making progress" sounds kind of goofy, like you are almost demeaning yourself.

He was a bit abrupt, but you probably came over as an insufferably cheerful fluffy bunny and just irritated him.

sounds rude to rne too

• Damien

well you shouldnt have said something silly like "making a lot of progress", youre just giving your boss the chance to pounce, let your boss be the judge of whether ur making a lot of progress or not.Bosses dont commend u on a good job but they will let u know when ur doing a bad job. sure its rude, but bosses do that to weed out the employees who cant stand criticism

update your rezymay........ you on the way out

• Cogito

A little blunt, perhaps. Maybe he just meant that you're not doing quite as well as you seemed to believe.

What you said might have sounded overconfident or even arrogant.

LoLz ... you're far too sensitive.

You probably don't know the difference between serious and sarcasm, or sneer and tryna be funny.

~

I could care less about your story