Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBotany · 6 months ago

can herbivores get nutrients from meat or carnivores get nutrients from plants?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

To some extent.

As I understand it, we primarily digest meat by breaking it down chemically in our stomachs, but primarily digest plants by letting them slowly ferment in our intestines. And by "us" I mean "all animals" here. As far as I'm aware, most herbivores don't have strong enough stomach acid to digest meat properly, and most carnivores don't have long enough intestines to digest most plant matter properly, particularly things like grass. But each can get *something* out of both meat and plants, as far as I'm aware, as long as it's a small enough quantity not to make them sick or whatever.

And some species, like wolves and coyotes, that are primarily carnivores will happily eat fruit, and can even live primarily off of fruit for a while. But, in terms of how you need to digest it, fruit is a lot closer to meat than most leaves are.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Yes. Since cows eat only grass, if we eat cows we are 'next-level' vegetarians!

• 6 months ago

Yea a lot of it can!

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Can herbivores get nutrients from meat?

Sometimes they can

Can carnivores get nutrients from plants?

Sometimes, but it's a lot harder. Plant material has cell-walls, and most carnivores can break those down. Cooking the material sometimes helps.

Cats die if they don't eat meat. Humans cannot live off grass

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • klypos
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Can herbivores get nutrients from meat or carnivores get nutrients from plants?

Either could be true, but it gets more complicated than that - you can have a vegetarian dog, for example, but you couldn't keep a vegetarian cat. Very species dependent.

• 6 months ago

Herbivores get nutrients from animals that die, decompose, and fertilize the soil. Carnivores get nutrients from plants that are eaten by animals and converted to meat. The circle of life! 8^)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.