I need help on what to do about college?

I was going to community college for quite some time and working. I was always interested in science/math but the classes were hard to get at the community college I went to plus I'm not that good at every science. I eventually got my Associate of Arts degree in English but I am not interested in becoming a teacher, it was just that I am very good at the English subject. I realized though that there are not many good paying job prospects with an English degree.

I want to go to my community college and maybe start a new degree but keep my general ed courses on record. What do you think I should do?

• Mark
    Favorite Answer

What are you most passionate about - what drives you? Hobbies/interests rather than subjects. Then find a way to express those.

If you don't know what you're going to do or whether it even requires a college degree DO NOT go to college. It sounds like you don't have a clear goal in mind and you'd just be wasting your time and money and creating an undue hardship for yourself.

In fact, I would avoid college altogether unless there's something you know you want to do that would require the technical skills like becoming a doctor or something (even then just know that it's not realistic for everyone who goes to college to become a doctor to actually become one - lots of people will decide the sight of blood and guts is not for them and dropout along the way, maybe they can't keep their grades up and they get kicked out of the program, maybe they can't pass a state or board examination along the way, maybe they don't know what the next step after college is and the dream fizzle out, etc. There are lots of things that could happen.).

Get into a university as an English major, take the math and science prerequisite courses, then change majors.

• :)

You need to find your passion, as you seem unsure and no one on here can point you in that direction. You need to make a list of your interests and priorities (money, years of school needed, job outlook, etc). I agree with MS that you should definitely attempt a university and not community college; a bachelors degree and higher gives you the best chance at getting employment.

Absolutely sure you're not interested in being a teacher? From what I heard it pays well and the demand, both national and international, is pretty high.

• MS

Most Associate's Degrees do not lead to good career options; there are a few exceptions. Community college is best for getting your gen ed requirements, which you can transfer to a 4-year school and apply toward a Bachelor's degree. Since you liked English and did so well, maybe you can consider an education degree with an emphasis in English. Upon getting certified, you could teach middle school or high school English with that.

Well, I think you need to decide what you want to be. You do not need to "start" a new degree at the CC; the CC should just be for your intro or gen ed classes; and they do not vanish but some do outdate at 5 years (mostly science). I would try and take a class or two that may interest you or even investigate volunteering in an area you are interested in.

rnaybe you should talk to the counselor at the college about it

You can transfer to four year university with an associates degree right? It sounds like you still need to find the field you want to study, but having an associates means you've got a lot done already and you can focus on what you major in. Perhaps go back to community college to find some classes you're more interested in and run with that.