Which tape recorder do I need?

I want to record from MP3 to cassette and I have a recorder from Walmart but when I recorded on that recorder the audio is slow, I am recording from computer to a tape recorder, but I need a better recorder for this, however, I do not know which recorder is the best it serves for what I am doing, so which recorder do I need and which is not with a high price?, thanks in advance.

PS:Sorry if I used so much the word record and recorder.

Favorite Answer

If you want to buy one,

look for a good used cassette deck

at a record store or an audio repair shop.

The price may be somewhat high, but that's how things are.

Another possibility is a new Tascam machine.

(Got $400 you can spare?)

Really, the best option, if you want to make only a few tapes,

is having a local audiophle who owns the right equipment

do the recording for you.

Just so you know; mp3 is a "lossy" format so there is loss when it is recorded. That means that take stuff out to make it fit on something like an iPod. Cassette is not the best tape format. The cheap ones are even worse. Unless you have a stand-alone cassette deck of high quality like a Sankyo (not Sanyo), Marantz or Nakamichi, you are not going to get a top notch recording even if you are recording music live and in person with the best microphones. Reel to reel if the best tape format.

Therefore recording an already compromised mp3 onto a flawed format like cassette will result in a decidedly low-fidelity recording. Anyone who tells you that it sounds better because it's on cassette tape is delusional.

I don't know why you are recording cassettes, probably for the sheer novelty of it, but I'm old enough to remember when we were all glad that CDs came out because they sounded worlds better. They still do. Even the very best cassette recordings sound like crap compared to a CD.

Cassettes are considered obsolete, so there are a lot of really good cassette recorders 20-30 years old, that you can buy cheap today because almost nobody uses cassette anymore.

Back in the 70s, we used to have cassette 'decks' that you would plug into the back of a stereo. They didn't have an amp or speakers, so they wouldn't work stand-alone. But they were high-quality, fairly expensive for the time. You can buy these on EBay now for <$100--a really excellent deal if they work at all (or Craigslist, or even garage sales). You can plug them directly into the Line In input of a computer and use a free program like Audacity to record them into WAV files, and then convert these to MP3. Brands like Teac, Sony, Nakamichi, Akai, etc.

Do a search for 'cassette deck' on EBay and you'll see.