What do you guys think of piercings?

I'm 14 and I want more ear piercings but my mom says no because she thinks I'm mutilating my body but I dont see anything wrong with ear piercings, like if I decide I dont like it anymore I can just take them out

• Mystic
    Favorite Answer

Piercings and tattoos are NOT "self-mutilation". I'll honestly never understand why some people are ignorant enough to believe they are, but to each their own I suppose. I just feel that the judgment is senseless and unnecessary. You don't actually know those people for real, so who are you to automatically judge them and deem them "bad", "dirty", "trouble makers", etc., just because they have piercings and/or tattoos?

Anyway, there really isn't a whole lot you can do at this point. Parents can be VERY stubborn and strict with their rules. Since you're only 14, you definitely still have to listen to what your parents say. Unfortunately, if they say no piercings, it's no piercings. You can try to reason with them like if you get a really good report card, great grade on a project/essay, etc., maybe ask for the piercings(s) you want as a reward. Or maybe wait until your 16th birthday and ask. The biggest thing is don't be a brat about it. Don't yell at them or whine. If they keep saying no, go with it and let it rest for awhile. If they will never budge, you'll just have to wait until you turn 18. At that point, you're free to get as many tattoos and piercings as you want without parental consent.

Also, to the ones saying piercings are permanent - um... no. They are not. All you have to do is take out jewelry and allow the hole(s) to close up/heal. Worst case scenario it MIGHT leave a faint scar. This doesn't always happen though. Tattoos aren't even "100% permanent". They CAN be removed/covered up, but this is often much more expensive and painful than actually getting one. Tattoos are much less forgiving than piercings, so they require much more planning/thought.

• Mystic

So are judgmental fools like you. If you don't like them, there is a very simple solution - DON'T GET THEM! You don't get to decide if others have them or not. Deal with it and grow up. Learn to be a better person by getting to know people for who they are, not judging them by their appearance.

• Megumi

Oh, I hate them.

• Will

I do not find ear piercings other than through the ear lobe attractive. Call me traditional for that, but elsewhere on the ear just seems trashy to me. Probably because the only earrings you see elsewhere are just rings and those do not appeal to me at all. As long as you don't get those odious ear gauges. Those are pure mutilation to the body and ****** disgusting to see.

• jessica7 months agoReport

Thanks, I would never ever get gauges. But for the longest time I've wanted a helix piercing. I just though since they are so common, it wouldn't be a big deal

you probably shouldn't make permanent decisions about your body when your 14 you might change your mind later on