Riding a m/bike in central London?

Is it a total mare with cameras all over the place? Bus lanes, speed cameras, no entry cameras etc theft as well?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Tim D
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

There are cameras and if your bike isn't ULEZ compliant it will cost £12.50, good news Hackney isn't in the zone, I hope.

Bus lanes are often permitted for bikes, look for the blue signs with bikes in them.

Speeding is possible but risky and pointless, you just end up spending longer at the next set of lights.

It is not legal to use the cycle area at most junctions although people do.

The nearest equivalent to DRs are deliveroo riders now, scooters with pizza top boxes riding on the wrong side of the road while checking a smartphone.

• Pete L
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

The cameras are only there to stop crime, not to invade your privacy. In London traffic it helps a lot if you know where you are going so you get in the correct lanes. However having driven in all, London traffic is no worse than the traffic in the Bournemouth / Poole / Christchurch area or Southampton, Portsmouth or Bristol. Just keep your temper and try not to cut up other vehicles.

• Rightman
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

O gee, I've been invited to Hackney in Aug and may ride up. I'm shtting myself about blundering inadvertently into a bus lane or "speeding" in a 20 zone and getting fleeced. I used to DR up the smoke in the 90s and rode like a nut unpunished. Now the pendulum's swung too far the other way!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.