Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 6 months ago

I applied vinegar to a piece of magnesium limestone I found. I expected there to be an apparent reaction but I could not observe one?

is this to be expected.

My reason for asking is because I wanted the magnesium limestone to neutralise the excessive acidity in the soil of my yard. Before I was about to grind it up to apply to the soil I though I would just put a bit of vinegar on to test. I expected it to bubble up but it didn't. Will it be any good for de acidifying my soil?

If the limestone had been polished then you would have seen that the surface had become etched. Vinegar is a mild acid but it will react with limestone but only very slowly.

• Mr.357

Vinegar is a weak acid and you don't have as much calcium to react and create CO2 is in regular lime stone. Grind it up and then pour vinegar on it and wait a while. You will get some bubbles and it will neutralize your soil.

Try some muriatic acid. They sell it in myst hardware stores. Vinegar is a fairly weak acid.

But while you are there buying acid, you might just buy a bag of "garden lime" instead it's not expensive.

• Roger.... who said anything about using acid for gardening? The acid is to test the limestone. Please work on your reading comprehension skills.