Anonymous

Why is it that my grandfather is Black but I am White?

My paternal grandfather is of African descent and has very dark skin and tighly curled hair and all the typical African features. My maternal grandmother is a light skinned latina, basically White, with straight hair. My mother is also White American with red hair and green eyes. Here is the thing, despite having a Black grandfather, I am extremely White, with very light skin, and straight brown hair. Why is it that my grandfather is Black yet I am White?

@One drop. My father often gets mistaken as Puerto Rican or Middle Eastern or sometimes even Italian.

My father has a light to medium olive compexion

Favorite Answer

.

Your racial makeup is mostly white race. Your paternal grandfather look nearly black in appearance, but lesser mixed with

white race and your paternal grandmother is mostly white race and somely Amerindian race; that made your father mostly

white race and somely Amerindian & black races. If you look nearly white in appearance, people would generally consider

you only white. If you look primarily mixed with the white race, people would specifically consider you mostly white mixed.

.

Because genetics are weird and complex

• Zirp

Because your parent passed on a few chromosomes of your grandmother to you.

A human that makes a child only passes on 23 chromosomes out of his/her 46

You are only 1/4 black and your black grandfather , like most African Americans, probably had some white ancestors. Your genes are overwhelming from caucasoid populations.

• Brian

A DNA test would likey show you to be 15 to 25% Black African and 75%+ White European.To me anything from 10% up of another race is enough to claim being mixed race, as most people at that percentage would be aware of a Black or Asian great granparent, so it's fairly recent.Under 10% i would put down as a White person with Black or Asian ancestry.So yeah i consider you mixed, you just happen to look or pass for White.Many people who get 100% mono-racial DNA test results wish for a bit of interesting mixture.

What color is your father?

Edit: @OP - I see. Well, there seems to be a lot of dilution in your lineage, if you've only got one black relative then you're not black

• Pyrus

It's genetics. Recessive and Dominant genes play the primary role in what you described. In fact, don't just go for what you have in your genes by what is discernible by sight, and run a DNA scan and see what percentage of you is African, and what percentage American, and all other possible ethnicities that may have been passed down from generation to generation till you were born (meaning the blood of your ancestors).

You're probably not as white as you think.