Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 7 months ago

How to deal with a cockroach issue (legal advice )?

I moved into a rental townhome in Ottawa, Canada recently and have been having trouble with cockroaches. We take measures to keep the house clean but it doesn’t seem to be enough.

After self treatment failed I got upset and called the landlord for professional spraying. They came and sprayed and then came back two weeks later for a gel treatment in kitchen and bathrooms. To this day we are still seeing the occasional about once a day or so and as I write this they are doing a second spraying.

Would it not be logical to spray all the connected homes at once to eradicate the issue ? I brought this up to the exterminator but he said he can only spray where he has been directed to by the land lord. When I wrote an email asking for the second spraying to the land lord he said for “legal reasons” he can’t speak to specifics but he does know there are some “troublesome” units nearby.

Honestly I love the house but I just want to get rid of the issue. I plan on speaking with a lawyer in the near future but I’m wondering if there is anyone who can give me any advice on what to do / who to talk to / what the expected remedy should be. I am in Ottawa (Ontario ) Canada and the lease states that the land lord needs to keep units in good condition and up to health and safety regulations.

If anyone knows what my next steps could be please let me know, greatly appreciate it

Unless all units in the whole building is treated at the same time, you will continue to have the problem.

i would just let thern keep spraying, thats all you can do, i personally would rather have roaches then the bedbugs ive had to deal with

Landlord doesn't own or control the adjacent units...and that's the cause of the cockroaches.

Even if they do control those other units...those tenants may be problems and Canada has pretty strong renters rights...

Buy some borax (grocery store) and spread it around the inside peremiter of your apartment.

You live in a townhouse.

The landlord doesn't own all the units. He can't make the other owners spray their units.

The HOA would need to require this and that would probably be a change to the bylaws or at least require a vote.

Your landlord is trying to eradicate the problem which means they are in compliance with the lease.

• mazda7 months agoReport

My bad. I should have mentioned that this is a rental community all owned by Minto