Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 7 months ago

why do some herbivores include small portions of meat in their diets?

i have been seeing videos of horses , cows and bunnies all eating meat from time to time , all of these animals are herbivores , so why do they eat these foods?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Calcium, iron, minerals they can't get from their veggie diet.

Squirrels eat nestling birds, I've seen one practically kill to keep another squirrel away from a fried chicken leg. They ate the meat AND the bone.

• Login to reply the answers
  • John
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

herbivores aren't vegans. they don't restrict what they will and won't eat based upon their ideals, they eat what they can find. herbivores are designed to be able to digest and extract most nutrients from plants, but if they happen upon meat or cheese or human food, they usually won't pass it up. they may not derive as much nutrition from it, but it can sometimes help if they're lacking in a nutrient

• MARK
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Because herbivores do not know about nutrition like humans do. They do not know humans have labelled them 'herbivores'. That label does not mean they cannot eat any animal-sourced food. Being a herbivore simply means most of their food comes from plant sources. They are more concerned with satisfying hunger than with deciding about the source of the food they ingest.

• Kenny
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

My cows don't eat meat . I wish they would eat grasshoppers and mice .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Herbivores need protein too. Cows get it by digesting bacteria that helped them digest grass. Horses need a higher protein diet than cows because they are more muscular and muscles are mostly protein. Plants do not have a lot of protein in it. Even seeds, which are protein rich compared to other kinds or parts of plants, are not very high in protein. All living herbivorous mammals evolved from insect eaters that survived the mass extinction 65 million years ago that wiped out the dinosaurs. Their stomachs and intestines evolved originally to process meat. Only later did some mammals evolve into herbivores.

• JimZ
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Its a good source of protein and fats which most plant material is short of and there are certain vitamins that meat contain.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Nobody taught them not to, and it's not like they have hands like ours to sort the food.

That aside, when I had rabbits they would kill mice that came too close, but they did not eat them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.