Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 7 months ago

How long after giving birth can i go back to school?

I mean not when am i allowed to but when will I physically be able to? Im in high school btw

• LizB

Depends on how the delivery goes. If you have an uncomplicated vaginal delivery, you will likely be recovered enough to return within a few weeks (presuming you don't breastfeed). If you wind up with a c-section, you'll need MINIMUM 6 weeks for recovery, but won't really feel like yourself until more like 12 weeks.

Does you school district offer a homeschooling program? Because if so, that would likely be better for your fall semester. You'd be more able to work at your own pace and around baby's schedule, though you'll still have to do all compulsory testing.

Don't you know you won't be going back? You can't complete high school and take care of a baby at the same time. Do some research on online classes you can take.

• MissA

It depends on you and how difficult your birth is. I'd say most people will want at least a few weeks off to recover. For some people it may well take longer.

Most schools nowadays will work with students with medical concerns that cause them to have extended absences, including pregnancy. You might be able to do online coursework or study at home. Talk to your guidance counselor about it.

It depends on how things go with you. I went back to work a week after one of our daughters was born because she was born premature and I didn't want to use up all my maternity leave while she was in the NICU. I took time off after she came home.

I would expect to take at least a month. You will want to let your school know as soon as possible when you are due, and make arrangements to keep up with your classes.

• Speed

The medical recommendation to resume normal activities is just as Anonymous says, 6 to 8 weeks for a vaginal birth, longer for a C-section since it's surgery.

That said, you are probably capable of doing the work much earlier, especially if it can be brought to you or done online. You'll be wiped out at times, but many a mom has been back in the trenches 72 hours later, because that's what she has to do to care for her other kids, keep her job, or other important reasons.

Before you're due, work out a way to get the work to yourself so you don't fall behind.

That depends entirely on how your pregnancy goes, what kind of labor and delivery you have and some other factors that no one can guess at. For a normal, vaginal delivery it takes at least six weeks to fully recover. That's not to say that you won't be exhausted past that point (taking care of a newborn is extremely tiring). You will have to take this step by step, assume 6-8 weeks but be prepared for adjustments on that time frame (just in case).