Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 6 months ago

Can you breast feed with a dental infection or can I be passed through your milk?

• Pippin
    Favorite Answer

A very few infections (HIV, hepatitis) can be passed through the milk. Most routine infections cannot, and neither can dental infections.

Most antibiotics are also safe, but be sure the prescribing doctor knows you are breastfeeding. He won't prescribe something unsafe.

You can breastfeed, but hopefully you're also getting treatment.

It will be fine. Infections can pass through breast milk, but that would mean it would be in your blood, which would mean you would have bacteraemia/septicaemia, and you would be very ill. Things like a tooth abscess are very localised.

It is of course worth checking with a doctor, but this should be absolutely fine. What may be of more concern is the transmission of any antibiotics you are taking, or their metabolites.

• ?

I wouldn't. Look it up or call your pediatrician .Doesn't sound right but, I don't know for sure.