Will quitting coffee help me lose weight?

So I’ve always enjoyed coffee. It was always like a nice little treat for me. Every once in a while my mom would take me to Starbucks or something and buy me a Frappuccino or an Iced coffee. This would happen maybe once a month. Until I discovered that Starbucks made drinks that they sold in stores close to my house. The little Frappuccinos that come in the glass bottles. Then my coffee intake became more frequent. I’d have 2-3 of those drinks a week. Then I started to depend on coffee. It made me feel energized, happy, and good overall. I started having McDonald’s coffee- frappes (which are TERRIBLE for you) and iced coffee. And Dunkin Donuts Iced Coffee or frozen coffee. Pretty soon I was having one to two coffee drinks a day. Before I became so obsessed with coffee I was 115 lbs. now after about 3 years of coffee almost every day I weigh 148. I can’t continue being the size I am. I’m disgusted with myself. I know I need to quit coffee for good. Will that help me shed off some of the extra weight? Please don’t be mean or call me dumb, I’m genuinely curious if this well help me, of course along with exercise and dieting.

• Anna E

You don't have to stop coffee, just stop getting the fancy drinks at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. Those cappucinos, frapaccinos, frappes etc are loaded with sugar and fat. They can have up to 500 calories a day, so if you are eating normally but adding 1000 calories a day in fat and sugar, you are going to gain weight.

Not unless your drinking four pots a day

• CB

You can drink all the black coffee you want and it won't add weight. The coffee milkshakes that are passed off as coffee - well might as well be milkshakes.

You dont need to quit coffee you just need to stop getting frappe and other super sugary coffees. Look how much sugar and fat was in just one of those drinks. You're basically drinking a milkshake every time you have one. Try low fat milk and limit the amount of flavoring or sugar you use. I wont recommend those sugar free atrocities. They're all awful and terrible for you.

• Gabe

Pretty much. We call those empty calories. In otherwords it won't fill you up but it'll get you fat.

that would depend on if you dress your coffee with lots of high calorie stuff like sugar, flavored creamer, real cream, etc, etc.

Yes, if the coffee you are drinking has sugar and cream in it. Cultivate a taste for sugarless coffee, black or with milk. Those fancy already-made coffees are loaded with sugar and some have a lot of fat. Coffee alone has no calories at all.

• Cammie

Stick to plain coffee or iced coffee with artificial sweeteners and a bit of cream.No more of those crazy calorie filled coffee Catastrophes .

• Eva

You don't need to stop drinking coffee, you need to stop drinking the sugary frappes, frappuccinos etc. You can have a Dunkin ice coffee with skim and splenda for far fewer calories. The calorie info is available on their app and website. Stay away from anything with added whip cream, and limit your intake to 1 a day. Definitely drop the bottled coffee drinks.

The caffeine in coffee raises your metabolism and can help you lose weight, but you have to cut out the sugar, cream and other crap they put in those drinks.