Can I change my last name to my mother's because I strongly disagree with my father in many aspects of life?

Update:

ND, U.S.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If you are an adult, you can change your name. You'll have to go to court to do that though. It's generally no big deal. What is a bigger deal is then providing proof of name change to everyone from the social security administration to the IRS to the department of motor vehicles to employer, vehicle/home title, passport etc. It's no small task. Also, keep in mind that your name will no longer match your birth certificate which may present some challenges in the future.

• Login to reply the answers
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Once you are 18 you can change your name to whatever you like.

• Robert
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

If you are over 18 and have the money you can change it to anything you'd like

• 6 months ago

If you are not a minor, sure.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

That would be a really unfortunate thing to do. What does it matter if you agree about everything?

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If you are an adult you can legally change your name to what you want, if a child then BOTH your parents need to agree and they need to legally change your name for you

• 6 months ago

If you are not a minor, yes. But if you want to punish your father, there are dozens of better ways.

• steve
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

I don't know the laws in USA but in UK for a small fee (less than £20) anyone over 16 can legally change their name.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Sure you can. Just go down to the court house and file the necessary paper work.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

yes, but he's still your father whether you like him or not

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.