Believe the thermostat is out in my car. How long do you think I have to drive it to the shop?

When I dorve it the other day it was overheating in under 2 minutes but it wasn t completely cooled off and it was 97 out. The shop is a mile and half away and they wanting to charge me for a tow truck. Do you think my car will make it to the shop without overheating? It s only a 5 minute drive tops

• JJ

IF you have coolant in the RADIATOR full that is not long enough drive to cause a problem.

LIKELY you are out of coolant in which case it is QUITE a bit more risky to drive even that short

without cooking your engine.

Pop the hood and take off the lid to your overflow tank and see if the tank is dry, meaning the rad is low. So only fill the overflow tanks and wait much longer (if you don't have a plastic see through overflow tank) - as you have a mystery car, no year, make, model,mileage... Out of 10,000,000 vehicles yours does not stand out.

[stuff people who are looking at it see and people on YA are idiots because they can't see. and you won't tell them. Some actually design cars.]

Because my FIRST GUESS IS THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY COOLANT. Usually the reason for overheating. Probably blew a rad hose so all the coolant is on the road somewhere.

Easiest way to fix is take off the caps and refill and fix the leak. Cost to you is the cost of coolant and checking to see if a coolant hose blew or let go or the water pump is leaking.

Thermostats have been made for over 100 years...so they got the bugs out...they don't fail.

97F out? Does not impress me much. Engine runs at 180F so WAY HOTTER. Anything less is called cool.

5 minute drive more won't hurt it Just don't touch anything. They will work on it when it cools. So tomorrow morning it will be done.

Check the coolant level in the radiator. If it's low add coolant or just water to make it to the shop. Tell them if you added just water and let them know it was low.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Pete L

It's not the thermostat but the cooling fan or fan belt.

Have it towed. There's too much doubt to risk.

• Robert

Well if you have it towed you'll be out a hundred bucks. If you drive it and it overheats and damages the engine you'll be out many hundreds of bucks. Unless it is down hill and you can shut it off and roll much of the way, I'm going to suggest the tow.

If your car is completely cooled off you should have no problem.