Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 year ago

How do I do things I don't want to do?

So, I'm in my early 20s, and I'm unemployed and not attending college. I graduated high school a few years ago (with mostly Cs), and I turned down college and refused employment (I tried volunteering at a few places, but never lasted long at any of them). The reason of all this is because I am very stubborn and only want to live life "my way." I am a huge Disney addict and spend hours watching their cartoons/movies and listening to music. I understand this lifestyle isn't healthy and would like to change it. I have a friend who is the opposite of me, he is a workaholic and has been very successful in life. He'll do things that seem difficult/unpleasant, has a bachelors degree, and is traveling the world (he's also a big Disney fan and is working with them). He says he can never stop working. I'm very jealous of him and wish I had his strong motivation to work. If I don't get what I want, I'll throw a tantrum. If he doesn't get what he wants, he's deals with it. I have such a hard time getting off the screens, taking my mind off Disney/cartoons, and doing something I dislike, but I understand we often have to deny ourselves in order to be successful in life. I'm terrible at doing that! Whenever I try to, I'll rage! I don't even brush or floss my teeth everyday, I haven't clipped my toenails in so long, and I know that really needs to change! I want to be a responsible workaholic just like my friend, but don't know how to start. How do I change?

@Robert - I don't "pretend" to love Disney, I really do love it (along with my best friend). I do have a source of income, but I won't say what it is. You say I can't find friendship when I literally mentioned one of my friends in this question? Yes, I like the way I'm living, my family and friends are fine with it, but I would like to improve. My health has gone down because of my poor self-care. I want to take better care of myself and stop being so stubborn.

I have severe anger problems and will rage on people if they tell me to do something I don't want to do. Even though my mind insists on only getting what I want, I also understand that in order to have a more successful life, we must deny ourselves, and do what life wants. Denying myself will cause me to rage and scream and yell at people. I know it's wrong, so how can I repent and start taking things seriously?

A while back, I posted questions on here explaining that I really didn't want to get a job, and people got angry with me and harshly told me to grow up and get a job. I still don't want to get a job and highly dislike work, but I want to change that. I want to start desiring to work. I'm very envious of my friend who works very hard and has a successful career. I'm very intelligent and feel I'm capable of having a successful career, but my mind refuses to face the challenges of doing it.

• j153e
    1 year ago

You might look around for vocational training opportunities at https://www.rwm.org

and talk with a counselor at https://www.hopefortheheart.org

• Robert
    1 year ago

You accept the fact that by not taking on any responsibility you have nothing. You can't afford the Disney crap that you pretend to love. You can't find friendship because of your hygiene (I would guess). You say you want to live life the way you want to. Do you want to live the way you are? If that's the case, enjoy it. If not, get off your **** and do what is required to live like a normal human being and stop b*itching that you're not special enough to be treated to the good stuff without working for it. And that's how you get started