Anonymous

How much social security will my own child and step children get now that I have been granted disability?

I was just approved for Social Security Disability and told I will be getting around $945.00 a month in benefits for myself. I was told by someone that when I get approved for disability my children (1 biological and 2 step children) will also get benefits from Social Security. Is this true? If so how much in benefits do they get for themselves?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Best Answer

each gets up to 50% of your amount. supposedly the family max is a total of 150% plus yours, but the way some sources have it written is that the total benefit is 150% including yours.

but i think it is yours plus up to 150% additional. that could be reduced if you don't have enough work credit to support the dependent benefit...

so you end up getting about 2362/month total...and likely don't have to pay taxes on that...for some people they end up with more income than when they were working.....or at least close to it.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying7.html

(assuming they are under 18 or 19 if still in high school......or older and severely disabled prior to age 22.

NOTE: don't pay attention to anyone who likes to boom......some people have such pathetic lives they have nothing better to do than give wrong answers on YA...just for fun...

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

note: for people that get the 150% extra they might come close to meeting work income.....not people without dependents.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Ask social security, how would we know?

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

REALLY? you would know if you read my answer and the reliable source proving it.......

• 4 months ago

They won't get any unless they are disabled or until you are dead.

• un4 months agoReport

That’s untrue. They will each get something from social security for having a parent on disability. Don’t comment on something if you don’t know the facts

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.