Chandler asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 6 months ago

Does tofu have estrogen in it? is it bad for men?

i am eating pad thai with tofu right now and my friend said "STOP, it has estrogen in it!"

Favorite Answer

Yes, and no. Tofu is made from soy beans. Soy is a phytoestrogen, or a plant based estrogen. It contains two isoflavones, genistein and daidzein, which act like estrogen (the female sex hormone) within the body. Because estrogen plays a role in everything from breast cancer to sexual reproduction, it has come under scrutiny and concern. There hasn't been a lot of research on this, but it doesn't appear that tofu has any negative impact on testosterone levels and may - may - reduce the risk on prostrate cancer.

• Louis

Wow. I am so pleased that many people actually answered this question with some knowledge.

I would like to add that no plant-based food actually has estrogen. They do contain phyto estrogens that are similar in chemical composition but not identical.

Phytoestrogens and their influence on breast cancer is still being researched but nothing has been established. Otherwise, soy seems to positively affect people's health.

and tofu is great stuff. It is a much better alternative to meat.

Yes - it is a soy product. Soy is NOT the supposedly healthy product that it was marketed to be years ago. Marketing is about sales, not truth, not about being transparent. I was taken in as well but I don't eat it anymore. There are so many estrogen mimickers nowadays, many from plastic and physical conditions erupt as a result, such as fibroids in women.

lots of foods have estrogen in them. Look it up.

Dry fruits, nuts, wine, flax

• Robert

Having tasted it, I think it's bad for anyone

• .

Researchers analyzed data from 47 studies that examined the relationship between soy and men’s sex hormones, including testosterone. They found that soy intake did not significantly affect testosterone levels. So you don't need to worry.

There are many vegetables that have chemicals in them similar to estrogen. Yes, that includes tofu. No, it is not a worry for men's health. You would have to literally be eating tons of the stuff for it to be significant. Soy products have been unfairly demonized because of this but it is really a non-issue, they are actually a good low fat source of protein and other nutrients.