andy asked in SportsMartial Arts · 6 months ago

What martial art is more effective MMA or Japanese Jiu jitsu?

There are 2 schools near me one has classes in MMA and the other does Japanese jiu jitsu and I’m stuck between which one to go to. What art do you find you get the most out in terms of confidence and practicality?

Thanks

MMA is not a style. MMA is Mixed Martial Arts. There are dozens of mixed martial arts like: Jeet Kune Do or Ketsugo or Wado Ryu karate. The most common mixture of martial arts has always been a Judo/Karate/Jiu jitsu combination (like Shorinji Kempo). There are about 200 styles of Jiu-Jitsu. My style is Hakko-Ryu jiu jitsu. I studied Judo, Goju Ryu Karate, and Hakko Ryu jiu jitsu since 1968. I actually worked out with Billy Blanks (Kempo) in the 1970s at his former Quincy, MA. dojo.

It's what more effective for you. If you make a long term commitment to koryu jujutsu because it turns out you love it-that's effective for you. If you take up MMA and get bored with it after six months-that's ineffective. Or it could be the revere. Give both a try is my advice. Not to be a pendant but koryu is the correct term as it means "old school", as apposed to "new" martial arts like karatedo and judo. Jujutsu is much better romanization than "juijitsu".

mma is not a martial art its a sport

effectiveness depends,on how,you train and your instructor

• Noah

In my opinion i think you should go jiu jitsu it does just grappling which I have found is much more effective for street fights and it has defense against weapons.

Just make sure it's not aikido most of those are mcdojo.

• Megumi

MMA is just a sport, so Jiu Jitsu is better for real fights.

• Sandra K

Wow, 2 morons gave you thumbs down. It'd be nice if you had to pass a test on knowledge before you could give thumbs up or thumbs down.

• Bill

Ask the teacher. The best teachers will tell you we train not to fight, to avoid it, run away - anything but fight. If you must fight then try and incapacitate your opponent to get the hell out of there. There is one exception - if you are interested in, in ring competition - for that then MMA is the way to go.

Megalo...nailed it.

You something that lacks actual self defense or actually teach you something than take MMA. MMa is not a system or style it is a bunch of bits and pieces thrown together. And it can be anything from a striking to grappling and no set curriculum.

Japanese Juijitsu is the fore runner to Judo,BJJ, GJJ and many other martial arts. You will learn, kicking, striking, joint locks, ground, standup grappling, self defense, etc.. And much more. JJJ IS a martial art system

• .

In MMA, unless the opponent gets lucky with a round-house kick or knockout punch, the most effective skill is actually amateur (collegiate) wrestling.

MMA isn't a martial art, it is a MIXTURE of martial arts (it's right in the name).

Which do you prefer sports or baseball?