Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 6 months ago

Have you ever been spanked as a punishment? And did you turn out fine?

I actually think every kid is different, and sometimes a spanking works for a kid. I got spanked as well, at home and at school, and it worked better for me than other punishments. I know not many people agree with me, but I think spanking is not always bad.

Favorite Answer

Yes i was spanked, by both my parents. My mother used to give two warnings then count to 3 if I was misbehaving. Once she got to 3 I knew I was in big trouble. She would have this very stern look and she would sit down across her wooden armchair. I would then get put over her knee and she would spank me for a minute of my age ( when I hit over 8 this would be torture) I was spanked bare bottom with either her hand, a belt, a spoon or a paddle. I turned out fine. I will also spank my kids when they are seriously misbehaving.

• joanna6 months agoReport

Yes Hannah, my mum was very strict on us back in the day. Was never tortured she loves us very much. Just taught us bad behaviour had consequences. I turned out just fine. No I do not beat my children atall.

Things didn't go right with me. My therapist and I think that my mom accidentally stimulated my genitals at some point in my youth even though she was not doing anything abnormal. I now have a spanking fetish that causes a lot of frustration because it also reminds me of my mother. I have held a grudge for over 25 years because of the disgust it causes me. It's hard to forgive while I'm so disgusted by her. Maybe I'm not a typical case, but I would hate to see another kid grow up feeling like this because their caregiver thought it would probably be okay. Sometimes I hate my mother and I really wish I didn't. She was otherwise a wonderful mom. I would say, why go near a child's bottom when it isn't necessary. There are still some people who think it's the only way to raise your children properly. Is it REALLY the only way? You can't think of anything better? I have never needed to do it with my kids.

I was spanked as a kid. My dad did all the spanking. I remember the worst was when my mom would call him while he was at work. Then shortly after he would be home. I'd always hide. He would always find me.

Sometimes he'd sit my sister and I down on the couch and we each had our turn getting spanked. Then he'd make us stay on the couch. He would eat dinner and then send us to bed.

I'm not going to say the way he did things was perfect. I will say that I learned to take what my mom and dad told me seriously.

I'd say I turned out alright. Go to work every day. Pay my own bills. Buy my own stuff. Raise my own kid. Never been arrested.

I respected the hell out of my father. Wish he was still with us today.

I was nearly BEATEN to death with a wide variety of instruments as a child and teen. And NO, I didn't "turn out fine" as you put it. I'm still dealing with the psychological scars and wounds, DECADES after the abuse ended. That's why I OPPOSE spanking and physical punishments of all types, and I always WILL. I have seen firsthand the harm that they can and do CAUSE to children.

• Starlight 1

I used to live in one such state, where spanking- including parental spanking- was illegal. The rule where I lived at the time was if you spanked, you needed to be prepared to explain your behavior to the cops and to a judge in court. That should be the rule everywhere, if you ask me.

I was born in the 50s and being belted was practically a daily thing and it done me know harm and I still respect my parents.

• Hannah

But if you had to be "belted" practically every day, doesn't that show that it wasn't actually changing your behavior? If it was teaching you anything, I would think that you wouldn't have continued to misbehave so badly all the time.

I was spanked when I deserved it and I’m glad I had the up bringing I had... my father was a strict farming man who believed in working for what you want and respecting your elders. I wasn’t spanked daily or even weekly. Only when i seriously mis behaved, and you can bet your last dollar I learned a lesson from it because he also sat me down about 10-15 minutes after my spanking to talk to me about my choices and why i was in the wrong. IMO just a spanking does no justice. Spank a child when they really deserve it but then afterwards sit down with them and talk to them about their actions. Also time outs worked wonders on me and my own son. He’s very hyperactive so when he acts out I tell him to put his nose on the wall, and it almost crushes his soul because he never holds still (5yo) but after a good 3-5 minutes in time out I sit him down and have a discussion with him.

• jessica6 months agoReport

of those times was In line at Walmart with a sheriff standing right behind me, my son was warned twice then continued to scream because he didn’t get his way, he got spanked and I immediately turned around to the officer and asked if I was in the wrong, his reply “I would have done the same thing”

• edward

A time out for me was pretty much relaxing in the stairs...there was nothing threatening to me about a time out or losing privileges back then because ipads didn’t exist. TV was boring, i had a great imagination. Spanking is immediate results

• Lôn

Yes, of course....I learned from it.

• Mark

Yes, but they were more like swats.

i used to get the belt, wish i had gotten a regular spanking instead

• Joe

Just how bad were to get whipped with a leather belt ??