Mike asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 6 months ago

Is it legal to put up a berm to divert water from neighbors driveway going onto my property?

Two of my neighbors have a shared paved drive which leads to both of their stone driveways. During heavy rain, a whole bunch of water comes off my one neighbors driveway, down the paved drive, and goes off the side onto my property. It always washes stone into my lawn which I have to clean up and the excessive water makes it downhill and washes out my gravel drive. I want to install a berm so the water stays in the paved drive but don’t know if I can get in trouble for that

• Toruko

In my situation I'd lay a gutter to transfer free water to cisterns for lawn and garden use,

That reduces expense of potable water from a utility. Bottom line: Your property; your rules.

• Kenzie

If the berm is built on your property it should not be a problem.

Is it legal? I don't know. It might be legal where I am in Nepal but I have no way of knowing where you are. People who ask questions here on YA don't seem to realize that this is a global site. That means that people all over the planet can see this question. Furthermore, there is no way to tell where the person who asks the question is. Laws and regulations are different all over the world. One might think that a person has the right to do whatever they want on their own property but in some places that is not the case at all. I lived in the Adirondacks for a while and my neighbor was heavily fined for putting up a little gazebo. The made him tear it down. It was too close to a small pond and those are the regulations there. He was not at all pleased but it was his own fault for not checking regulations.

• drip

Your property you can put a berm there if you want to. A berm isn’t like putting up a fence

We have a berm - a large mound of dirt we put bushes and ground cover on- in our backyard, right up to our fence.

If you are concerned, check with your town/city hall.

• elhigh

Berm? You could probably achieve the desired results by installing lawn edging along the edge of your driveway. Or, if you prefer, at the edge of your property, as close as possible to the line without going over. That keeps the water on the neighbor's property and is a lot quicker than moving tons of dirt.