Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 6 months ago

How do you handle anxiety if you can’t afford therapy?

All these people recommend therapy but it’s like what about money? The only thing I’ll be thinking about in therapy is how much that bill would cost. Seeing the bill would give me a massive panic attack. I work a full time job and I’m maxed out on bills and I have no money outside of that. Are there any free therapists in chicago? Are there free youth clinics I can go that have counseling? I literally can’t ever afford therapy ever!!!

You do self-help. Most public libraries have books, audio books, and even DVDs on how help anxiety. You can find resources at a library or online for diet, exercise, and mindfulness/mediation techniques that other people find useful. Below is a link to some books which are probably at a library or you can purchase from a bookstore.

https://www.healthline.com/health/anxiety/best-anx...

You can also look for support groups in your area.

• Travis6 months agoReport

Thank you

Call your local health department and get a list of clinics in your area that offer free or low cost mental health services. Call your local Social Services office and ask to speak with a social worker. Go over what you have written here and ask them if you would qualify for any assistance programs. Contact your local churches and see if any of them offer any counseling services. Check with your local community center or libraries to see if they offer any services that would help you.

• Robert

Why not just face a bit of reality. Life isn't always pleasant but it's not all that bad either. Take your troubles one by one and they are not all that different from what everyone else is facing daily. You seem obsessed about money. OK...take that first. No one ever has as much as they'd like or can have all the things they want. Prioritize. But what you need, force yourself to pay down bills and after they are paid save a certain amount. If you do that and continue to work, learn and advance you will get ahead. Look for better jobs always...but more than a quick buck look for long term opportunity. They are there but it is hard work to get them. No one gets everything they want, but over time you get much of what you want. But no one gets up the ladder without taking it one step at a time. Put things in perspective. You are probably not much different than most of your friends. They are getting by and so will you. It's difficult not to worry, but if you see that you are one of many with similar concerns you find that there is less reason to worry. Therapists are expensive but if you want to talk to someone there are a zillion free self help groups available. Libraries usually have a list of them

Do you belong to a church or equivalent? Oten ministers and trained members can listen.