Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 6 months ago

Am I supposed to get a new license when I turn 21?

The expiration is in August 2021, two years after my 21st birthday.

The “undisclosed location” is Florida.

I know a lot of people who have changed them, but I’m not sure if you’re supposed to.

• JetDoc
    Favorite Answer

Many states these days have distinct license media for drivers who are under 21 years old. You don't HAVE to get a new license when you turn 21, but MOST people do, just to get rid of the "Under 21" document.

• .

Check the expiration date. Usually, they tell you when to get a new license.

• Dave

Some states use a different photo background color for drivers under 21. This is so bars can easily tell if the person is legal age to drink without having to calculate years and months from their birth date. As for driving a car it makes no difference just make sure it isn't expired.

• Edna

You don't have to "get" a new license when you turn 21. You'll renew your driver's license on or before its expiration date, which in your case will be your birthday in August 2021. DL's are usually issued for 6 or 8 years, and they expire 6 or 8 years later, on the holder's birthday.

If you're referring to obtaining a "real ID" DL: Beginning on October 2020, all new and renewed licenses will be "real ID's". Since you already have a valid license, you don't have to do anything - it will automatically renew in August 2021 as a "real ID". Until you renew, you present license will still be valid as a DL and personal ID, but it won't be valid for Federal ID purposes.

If you want, you can take your present license to the DMV and exchange it for a "real ID" now. Everything on that license will remain the same - the license no. and the expiration date. The only difference will be that your new "real ID" will have a star in the upper right hand corner.

Some states began issuing all new or renewed licenses as "real ID's" 3 or more years ago. Take a look at your present license. If it has a star on it, you already have a "real ID".

What's the expiration date on you license?

The expiration date of your license is on the license that you have! You are allowed to keep your current license until the expiration date that's on it unless of course you just want to get the picture changed and to get the background changed so that everybody knows that you're fully of legal age.

• Jay P

Not where I live. I have no idea of what the laws are for your undisclosed location...

• .

It depends on the state. Many states have a vertical license for people under the age of 21.