How Long To Wait Before Paying Your Student Deposit At a College?

Lets say you get accepted at a college. You now have to pay your student deposit to secure your seat in the course.

I know its better to do it as soon as possible, but how much of a time period is acceptable to wait until you pay the deposit?

I've applied to other colleges so I want to hear from them before I make a decision

They've not given me a deadline. They've just said that its best to pay it as soon as possible.

Favorite Answer

The college will will usually give you a deadline for accepting offers of admission. Typically there is a deadline of May 1 for regular admissions for the Fall semester.

If the college has rolling admissions instead of regular admissions, then they might provide a "rolling" deadline for acceptance (within X number of days of the offer).

In many cases, especially in rolling admissions, colleges may provide financial aid, scholarships or housing on a "first come, first served" basis, so accepting the offer and paying your deposit as early as possible would be beneficial. If the college is your first choice, there's really no reason not to pay the deposit as early as possible, at least as soon as you receive your financial aid offer and know you can afford to go there.

Of course, if another college is your first choice, then you don't want to pay multiple deposits (and have to write multiple "I have changed my plans and will not be attending your fine institution" letters). That said, you don't want to gamble on getting accepted to your dream school, get rejected, and find that you've lost out on housing and scholarship opportunities, or even missed the deposit deadline, at your second choice.

So keep an eye out for the deadlines, and pay your deposit at (at least) one college you wouldn't mind going to while you wait for other offers to come through.

They likely gave you a deadline. If they do not receive the deposit before that deadline, you're out & that place given to someone else. Usually 30 days from their date acceptance is issued is the schools' deadline.

Since you can't discern the deadline for payment, pay it now to secure your place and stop worrying.

• drip

Usually you apply first semester senior year. They get back to you and give you a financial aid package and give a deadline date of May 1st to apply.

If you are applying now for Fall 2019 start date? Then you need to get in your deposits ASAP.

If the university is telling you it is best to get your deposit in ASAP. The. You need to ask what happens if I don’t. If I wait another 2-3 weeks to hear back from other universities what can happen to my acceptance here.

If nothing else classes will be filling up. Most freshman have already register for fall classes.

It depends on what that college tells you is the deadline. In the U.S., universities that offer you admission will provide you with the date by which you must accept the offer and submit your deposit. If you miss the deadline, they assume you are no longer planning to attend. If you don't know when that is, CALL the admissions or financial office at that university.

they will be patient on this. they know what is happening. even two weeks before term starts is ok with most.

• Mark

Did you ask the university you are planning to go to this? I assume if you're bright enough to attend a university, you know that different universities have different deadlines,.