Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 5 months ago

Where would you recommend me to holiday in the UK here is what I would like?

I am living in London for a few years for work. I would like to see more of the UK. My friends and I are planning a weekend trip somewhere around the UK but we don’t know where to go. I am looking for somewhere with a big beach, countryside, town with lots of shops, cafés and restaurants, museums, gardens and other types of attractions.

Can you use the blue Oyster card outside of London? I don’t have a car so we would like to go somewhere that’s easy to travel around or has at least buses. How can we use the buses? Will they accept blue Oyster card or can we use our contactless bank cards?

• RR

The Isle of Wight is excellent for people without cars. You can reach all the ferry terminals (Portsmouth, Southampton and Lymington) by train and you can easily travel all over the island by bus. The eastern side of the island is served by a railway (great fun - it uses ancient ex-London tube trains).

There is lots to do for all ages and some lovely seaside resorts that feel like a step back to a golden age..

• Maxi

Depends on where and how far in the UK you are prepared to travel to, as Britain is an island it is surrounded by beaches......... based in London then most would venture south from London which means the Kent, Devon and Cornwall coastline and the larger seaside places like Bounmouth, Brighton, Plymouth, Falmouth and the many others which you can look on th map and do the research to see if any suit your needs........ personally I would choose Suffolk/Norfolk or Wales, catch the train or coach there, where your funds will go further than going south and no you won't be able to use your London Oyster card, it is for London transport not the rest of the UK

I'd say Brighton is the closet fit to all the criteria you described. Also Cambridge and Oxford but they don't have beaches.

In response to your Oyster card question, no, you can't use Oyster cards outside of London. You'll have to buy local bus tickets or take cabs. You might be able to use contactless but I haven't been on a bus anywhere in the UK other than London for years, not since before contactless was a thing, so I can't say for certain.

• Jon

Getting both "countryside" and "a town with lots of shops, cafés and restaurants, museums" in the same place is impossible. Bournemouth meets your requirements for "big beach, ... town with lots of shops, cafés and restaurants, museums, gardens" and has attractive countryside quite nearby accessible by bus or train (e.g. bus to Studland and walk on Ballard Down, or train to Wool or Moreton for walks), and is close enough to London for a weekend trip. It has frequent trains from Waterloo, or National Express coaches from Victoria. There is a good bus network within the town and some services out into the countryside.

Oyster cards are not usable outside London. Some non-London buses accept contactless cards but on most you either pay cash or buy a daily or weekly pass (again usually with cash, from the driver). Having decided where you are going, look up the local bus company online.

• Ray

Within a reasonable distance of London I suggest

Bournemouth

Margate

Weymouth

Swanage

Portsmouth and Southsea

• John

Brits tend to dislike Americans answering on the UK channel but hey..... We were there 15 years ago and one suggestion for you would be some of our rather limited experience. We stayed in Englefield Green, west of London, and day tripped into London. That is the Egham station (I forget all train line info). It's also Windsor, Windsor Castle, Windsor Great Park and there's a WWII memorial and another to the signing of the Magna Carta. You can only go in the castles when the queen is away. Windsor is a fine place. Much more interesting is the British history that resides there. West again is Oxford and then Bath, both of which are very interesting. On the way is Stonehenge, which we just watched out the train window from afar.

• Jon

Where were you when you thought you could see Stonehenge from a train?
      If you look at a topographical map of the area, you will see that such a sighting is impossible.

The UK is not known for its beaches. The only one I know of is Brighton. It's a tourist spot, so there's lots to do, and you can get there on the train.

• pmt853

We have loads of great beaches. I recommend the South Wales coast.

Oyster card is only usable within the Transport for London district - ie London. You can use contactless or Oyster on all London public transport options (underground, overground, bus)

Towns with lots of shops don't tend to have beaches and countryside too. Sometimes one or the other.

However, how about this? I'm not 100% sure of the travel links, but you can check.

Get a train to Taunton Have a look around the shops. Get a bus or taxi to Bishop's Lydeard. Catch the steam train through the countryside to Minehead (seaside town with a passable beach, beautiful gardens, a harbour etc and some shops). Spend the night there in the Premier Inn (easy walking distance), then the next day get a train back and reverse the journey.

You'd need to buy tickets in ticket offices or in advance online. As far as I know you can't use a contactless card on every bus yet, but you could easily find out if you need cash or not.

I suggest Largs, on the west coast of Scotland, an easy bus or train journey from Glasgow. Fabulous long sandy beach, lots of shops, the best ice cream parlour in the world ('Nardini') and lots to do and see in the town. It's one of Scotland's prime summer holiday spots.