rebecca asked in PetsHorses · 7 months ago

How should i describe my riding ability for a riding school form?

i want to go hacking while im on holiday. i have to fill out a form saying my riding ability.

ive been riding my whole life from cobs to ex racers. walk trot canter jump etc. fine in open spaces. have done all fun rides, cross country, dressage jumping. jumps are about 2'9'' im confident with. can sit to bucks rears etc..

how do i explain my abilities from the above? i dont want to come across like im something im not and end up on something a bit too much for me and look silly.. but i dont want to explain too less and end up on a boring walking ploddy ride.

thankyou in advance!

tbh, if you can jump 2'9" and have experiece with all types of horses and a bunch of horses and styles of riding, I'd say intermidiate to advanced. You would obviously have good control or horses lol

Leads? Diagonals? If not, advanced beginner. If so, intermediate.

They'll move you up once they see what level you really ride at.

Edit: and if you don't know what I'm talking about, you're a beginner and shouldn't be rating this! LOL!

• Amber

Well it's a bit subjective on what level requires a certain skill set.

Be honest. intermediate will be fine

• Snezzy

Be truthful. The people who read those forms are mostly concerned about braggarts who ask for a "Good, fast horse." One place I knew about would ask the potential rider, "You're on your horse, and horse is going backwards but you want to go forwards. What would you do?" The braggart would invariably say, "I'd pull back on the reins and make him stop." They would give him Old Lightning, the laziest mount in the whole place.

You're much better than that, and would know precisely what to do.

They'll be pleased to see that you know all the right terminology and do not overstate your abilities.

• Eva

Tell them you are an intermediate rider. That way you won't be put on a walk only ride, but you aren't overstating your abilities.

put down that....

• *****

I would probably put down intermediate, since you are concerned you could be placed on a horse that's more than you can handle. An advanced level rider, IMO, would not be concerned about their ability to handle anything they were put on.