Kate asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 5 months ago

What would happen if you were to crash into another vehicle while on a learner's permit?

I tried doing research but it kept giving me articles on if you were by yourself.

I want to know what would be the consequence if you were on a permit but actually had someone with a valid license in the passenger's seat.

Update:

especially if you're 18+

8 Answers

Relevance
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The licensed driver who is in the passenger seat is supposed to be supervising your driving practice, and giving you instruction. If you are "AT FAULT" for an accident while practicing, the instructor would be considered to be responsible.

• g
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The same exact thing that would happen if you held your full license, Kate. You'd be held accountable for your actions. If you were the at fault driver you and whoever insurers the vehicle you were driving would have to make the other motorist whole.

Tracking?

• 5 months ago

No different to if you were on a full license as long as you're properly insured and accompanied.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

If you crashed hard enough, you could die, or worse yet - kill someone in the other vehicle.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

it depends on where [state / province] the car is licensed, where the accident occurs and where your permit is issued. Generally speaking in most states in the USA you could lose your permit for awhile and / or would be ineligible to qualify for a license for a longer period, you may be required to take a driving safety course and the owner of the vehicle would be liable to pay the damages.

• 5 months ago

You would be held responsible just like any other 'at fault' driver.

Your insurance, or whoever's insurance you are driving under would be liable for the damage.

You as the driver could face legal sanctions, including fines, suspensions and possible jail time depending on the circumstances and seriousness of the incident.

The qualified driver who was sat next to you could also be investigated to see if there was something they should have done to prevent the accident.

• arther
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

it's the someone with a valid license's problem.

• 5 months ago

You would usually have to wait a while longer to get your license for what I know.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.