Will the technological singularity facilitate the establishment of a post-scarcity society?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

It's unknown and incalculable to any degree of what might be considered even ballpark accuracy right now. And while I respect his ideas, I think Josh [above] hasn't taken human nature or history well enough into account. The ''technical singularity'' isn't necessarily inevitable. Complete takeover of all occupations by robots isn't inevitable and it's pretty far out in the future if it ever does occur.

One of the likely problem is that machines need to be tended and if that doesn't involve humans [the cleverest and most capable machine of all] it devolves into an endless iteration of machines tending the machines that tend the machines that tend the machines ... to the point that every resource required to make and tend the machines becomes depleted and then the whole shebang collapses

And, after all, mankind does have a say in the matter and historically we have a knack for rebelling violently when things become untenable . Along with guessing about a ''technical singularity',' speculating about a societal upheaval of that nature and magnitude really has no precedent to which it might be compared.

The way to a post-scarcity society is dependent upon reaching a post-consumer lifestyle as well.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 months ago

It all depends on how well the technology is maintained. Today we are seeing a decline in technology due to so many people no longer wanting new technology. Meaning that so many people are happy with their current technology, and new technology is not making them that much happier. There are a lot of people not wanting Artificial intelligence or robots in their lives at all. If technology wants to be current or progressive, it needs to start being better at curing diseases, curing human physical medical needs better, faster, and far cheaper than today. We need to see the increase in nano-technology healing human bodies faster , we need to see food production increase with automatic environment technology. We need to see improvement in indoor food growing in artificial environments become viable, and we need to see improvements in housing materials and house design making daily life possible in extreme environments, so we can then work on populating the earth after yet another terrible environmental disaster. We do not want Artificial Intelligence to take over for human interaction and daily tasks, but we could use Artificial Intelligence to do extreme environmental conditions repairs on the the outside of a building structure, go into places human hands cannot and physically fix or repair broken but needed fuel, water, and power lines, and in those ways and capacities will technology become a needed tool for a post-apocalyptic society becoming a post -scarcity society in less time.

• ...Show all comments
    • Zaphod Beeblebrox
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Josh - don't overlook the 75 year old prediction that nuclear energy was going to make electricity virtually unlimited and almost free for everybody too - there's a strong parallel. Didn't happen and it has led to numerous negative consequences I don't buy your StarTrek economics argument.

• 5 months ago

Yeah, maybe. But also, maybe not.

• We are only talking about probabilities when it comes to these things. So it could or it might not. I think that it will. Evidence for this being the fact that all occupations in the economic system can be mechanized and automatized by robotics when technology has reached its pinnacle.

I strongly affirm this possibility and layout the ground work for full automation in my book, Robot Life (2019), by Josh Alfred. I also worked on a project called "Progress/Regress," subtitled,"biological, economical, and technological convergence and divergence." No one seems to care though.

• Zaphod Beeblebrox
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

congrats on getting your book out - something I have yet to succeed in accomplishing myself.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.