Gary asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicBlues · 5 months ago

I have a fender stratocaster 1961 or 1962 with a serial number 68692. Any idea on its value. Bought it new and hardly played.?

If it is truly a 'case queen', spent the vast majority of its life un-played and sitting in the original case, then value is going to be at the upper end of the $15k - $20k range. If the condition is truly exceptional and all original, a collector may go higher. Sunburst was standard, so if you have one of the scarcer body colors, that might boost value a little more.

Without the original case from 1961, which was most likely a 'tweed', it might knock a grand off the price.

• mars

The 1961 Fender Strat is a 'holy-grail' of guitars. Reissues are $6-12G. V.G.'s quote in Ex/Orig cond. is $20G. They had a matching 'Vibrolux' amp (used '61 now $2500). Blues-guy Joe Bonamassa buys original-owner guitars like these.

Source(s): (Vintage Guitar 7/19)
  • John

I just popped into a search for 1961 strat and didn't click on any details. The search page had it for just over $4K to over $22K. But again, I didn't go into details.

• Brian

If the serial number is between 59000 to 71000, it is a 1961.