One of my relatives has become a father of a son born in a RAF station in the UK, both my relatives are US citizens, is the baby US as well?

They are distant relatives with whom I usually chat and I wondered that and I resorted to your knowledge

Thanks

Favorite Answer

Being born in another country does not automatically make you a citizen there or stop you from being one of the country your parents are from. Thousands of babies are born overseas to US personnel every year. If one parent is a US citizen then the child is. In this case that would be the child’s only citizenship. Being born in the UK doesn’t mean they are British, they do not meet the requirements for dual citizenship

They need to apply for a Born Abroad Consular Certificate through the US Embassy for the child

Yes, he's a US citizen

The UK doesn't grant citizenship just by being born in the UK; you'd need to meet other criteria to also claim UK citizenship

Former Senator (and POW) John McCain (R-AZ) was born on a U.S. military base on foreign soil to American parents, and he was a U.S. citizen at birth. A baby born to U.S. citizens is a U.S. citizen, but this RAF-born baby might also be able to claim dual citizenship. Check it out.

• NWIP

No it cannot claim dual citizenship, UK regulations on citizenship. One parent must be a U.K. citizen to qualify