Step daughter wanting all attention?

My and my fiancé have been together for over a year now. Her daughter has now been getting worst with her behavior. I’ve noticed she’s gone into peeing her pants when she doesn’t get her way. Constantly wants all the attention. If you’re on the phone she will jump on you to try and get it and talk or demand your attention. Nothing has really changed recently. A year ago she moved away from her grandparents but that would be the biggest change. Help what are things that I can do?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Don't shun her, whatever you do. Pay attention to her- you are in this relationship, that is a commitment that you have made, and it is out of love- it shouldn't be viewed as a chore. That will harm you and it will harm the child.

• booya?!5 months agoReport

That’s the thing. As long as she isn’t back talking to me when I ask her to do things or making her faces and rolling her eyes. I’m giving her attention. I have a step dad so I know how it feels to have someone walk in. I always try and take her to do fun things

• LizB
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Don't react to the potty "accidents," just calmly tell her to go change her clothes. No anger, no punishment, just tell her to change her clothes and put the wet ones in the bathtub or washing machine. If you get angry or she's punished, that's honestly just as bad as coddling her since she's still getting a strong reaction to intentional misbehavior. If you don't react, she'll eventually give up that tactic.

Otherwise, DO give her your full and undivided attention sometimes, and then other times encourage her to have quiet time or play on her own. Also enforce respect for other people's boundaries, since if she's doing this to her parents she's probably doing it to other kids in school, and it's a very annoying habit.

• 5 months ago

Sorry she will be five next month.

• 5 months ago

You don't say how old your future stepdaughter is...

-- but what you have pointed out is pretty common in the preschool crowd.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.