Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 5 months ago

My motherinlaws relatives and friends gave gifts to my baby does this mean I will have to give gifts to them when they have a baby?

Is it on me or do u leave it to my mother in law

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Angie
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

Receiving a gift does not obligate you to send gifts to those same givers in the future. A gift is a gift, and should come with no strings attached, however, a thank-you card from the recipient should always be sent to all gift givers. If you receive an invitation to a baby shower and choose to attend, you should bring a gift. If you receive an invitation and choose not to attend, you are not obligated to send a gift, however, you certainly may if you wish.

Again, while gifts are not always required, when it comes to family, I always play it safely. If a family member is celebrating a major event such as an upcoming birth, wedding, milestone anniversary, etc., I always send a gift whether or not I attend, so as to avoid any potential hurt feelings. If my in-law's or their family members gave me gifts, I always tried to return the favor if the opportunity came, as my mother in law wasn't always the easiest person to please, and I didn't want her to feel as if I were snubbing her relatives. Though there were many times when I absolutely was not obligated to send her relatives gifts, I did so anyway just for the sake of keeping peace and making the effort to get along. But this was just my personal rule of thumb, it it certainly doesn't mean you have to do the same. Just use your best judgement.

• Daisy
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

If you are invited to a baby shower for them, then, yes it is appropriate to give a gift. Your mother-in-law may be past child bearing years and wouldn't require a gift. However, send nice thank-you notes to whomever gave you gifts. They are probably not expecting a gift in return unless there is an occasion for it (like an anniversary dinner or maybe a holiday get-together (Christmas, for example).

• Cara
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Your mother in law's relatives and friends are probably past childbearing age themselves, but most people would want to reciprocate in some way, maybe by inviting them to tea or giving them some small gift on another occasion.

• `
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You should be able to handle buying a gift without involving your mother-in-law. Of course you should buy a gift.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

i would give thern a gift since they gave you one

• 5 months ago

I'm very sorry to see you are such a young mother. I assume you're very young, possibly even too young to be posting on here, as otherwise you wouldn't assume that grown-ups would solve all your problems for you.

• JJ
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Yes, do give gifts when your relatives and friends have a baby

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

A gift is not an obligation, it is a gift.

Of course you should WANT to give gifts to these people when/if they have a child. It is a bit weird that you would ask.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yes.............

• 5 months ago

Of course you do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.