Will he ever propose?

Been dating for 2.5 years, living together for just over a year. He has said multiple times he wants to marry me. Even said he had bought a ring once, when he was drunk. Also said he knew how he will propose another day. Multiple times he has gotten down on one knee and pretended to, which I hate... it’s driving me crazy and making me a little upset.

Favorite Answer

If you want to know - then talk to him...

This guy is a tease and I, too, would be upset for him to be making jest of what I see as a serious step in a relationship.

To tease you multiple times by getting down on one knee to pull your emotional chain is cruel and fits under the category of emotional abuse. Sorry to say. I am going to, just for a moment, play the devil's advocate and defend him...maybe he is pulling this crap on you so when he really does ask, you will then be surprised because right now he is numbing you with false hope, so when it is for real, you will be shocked. But, seriously, what he is doing is tainting any proposal you can have that is real.

I would sit him down and tell him that a proposal is no joke and if he does it one more time, you are going to leave him. MEAN IT. How dare he dangle that carrot in your face time and time and time and time again. Even lying about buying a ring? He is so immature...do you really want that for the rest of your life?

From today on, please pretend you are a stranger and looking objectively over how he acts and behaves on a daily basis. Without emotion, just take an objective look at how he conducts himself, how he treats you, how he is or is not a team player in your lives. Being the "fly on the wall" as you observe yourselves together may help you realize that this IS the guy of your dreams or he really is not the guy you want to believe he is.

Trust me, you need this exercise.

He is not going to do it. If so he would not play games. 2 and a half years is long enough H e already knows he is not going to propose and he knows you might grumble but you will do nothing

It is up to you now are you willing to wait forever and go forward with this man just as things are right now OR you can cultivate some self respect, open your eyes and move on to find the committed relationship and marriage that you want with someone new

• Foofa

Probably not as long as he's able to use this to torture you with. One wonders why you'd even want to marry someone who thinks it's fun to play with your emotions. It's not like marriage fundamentally changes someone personality. In fact marriage tends to exacerbate the things you already don't like about your partner.

• GEEGEE

Well some incentive was removed when you moved in together. Things are "pretty okay" the way they are, so why change what works. You could ask him.....tell him you are ready, what's his time frame?

• edward

What’s the rush. You’re already common law married right? Even if you get married the only thing that changes is your last name at this point. Even if you break up it’s just a less expensive divorce

• Foofa

Only 8 US states even have common law marriage laws and in none of those does it take effect after just one year of cohabitation. So no, they're not legally wed... Also marriage does NOT change your last name. I've been married for years and will go to my grave with the surname my father gave me.

• drip

You hate this behavior- which he has done multiple times.

It dries you nuts, it upsets you. And he keeps doing it.

Why do you put up with it? Do you really want to marry a guy who treats you this way. Ok you love him, Still not a reason to put up with allowing someone to treat you this way. He is immature. He is selfish. He disregards your feelings. He gets drunk and tells you he bought you a ring. This goes beyond teasing you. This is being deliberately cruel and he thinks it is funny.

At the very least have a straight talk. Be clear and strong, I will not put up with you treating me this way. I would not mention you want to get married again. This should be about not getting engaged. It is about how he acts and how he treats you. And then don’t put up with it. Have a Plan B. A place to live on your own if you don’t have that now.

He may grab a ring when he realizes you will /have break up with him. Don’t take this last ditch effort. It is NOT the way to go into an engagement. Give yourself time away and alone first.

He should want to marry you. It should be an over whelming desire. He should be thrilled and excited. Not oh sh** she is leaving I give her a ring to appease her.

You may perhaps find after a short time you do fine without him.

• Jessica5 months agoReport

Thank you for your advice, I feel I must add that I never show any of his behavior upsets me. I never know how to react in the moment.

"Multiple times he has gotten down on one knee and pretended to" - He's an -***. I'd dump him!

• Lv 7

Your bf has a mean streak, honey. It takes a helluva a man to be better than no man at all.

No. Why pay for milk when he has a cow.

only tirne will tell, you'll just have to wait and see