Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 year ago

Long distance moving - Would it be more sensible to sell / get rid of my stuff in my origin city and start over when I get to new city?

I am moving from Wisconsin to Arizona in September and here is the thing . I was quoted $ 3,500 for a pod ( storage container move)

They would be mainly moving the contents of a bedroom (which consist of a queen sized bed and then of course the dresser and nightstand) and the contents of A living room ( sofa , a few tables and a few arm chairs , a computer desk and a flat screen tv with the tv stand)

Also theyd be moving about 15 large boxes of household items which are mainly decorations , clothing , small kitchen appliances , cookware , wall art , etc.

HERE IS ANOTHER THING : I paid $5,000, seventeen years ago for the bedroom set . Which means that it is quite used. And the value and worth is depreciated .

My mom offered to keep the bedroom furniture at her home while I move away to Arizona short term ( for about a year )

OR : Would it be more wise to sell my living room and bedroom furniture and repurchase stuff after I get to AZ?

• 1 year ago

Buying new furniture and stuff is dependent on the cost index of the new city compared to the city you are moving from. Fr'nstance, some parts of Wisconsin are cheap places to live. And some parts of Arizona are snooty and price-enriched. I say bite the bullet on the mover and take your stuff...3500 bucks seems like a below market rate anyway.

• 1 year ago

I would be tempted to leave the furniture behind and just take essentials since you are only going to be in Arizona for 12 months anyway.

I would buy what I needed at a thrift store and then donate it all back to them when you move. Or, sell it.

• 1 year ago

Rent a Ryder truck, pack it yourself and move, Cost less then a thousand if you book it ahead of time

• 1 year ago

thats up to you, ive wanted to rnove and thought of getting rid of rnost of rny stuff just to rnake it easier to rnove

• 1 year ago

Do the math on what your replacement costs are. That is the financial answer to what is right. Then there's convenience and sentimental questions only you can address.

• 1 year ago

Hard to judge without knowing that you'd get for the stuff if you sell it and what you'd pay to buy another version. But if I was only going to be somewhere for a year, and had an offer of free storage for that year, I wouldn't be taking much with me and would be quite happy with thrift store furniture (aside from a new foam mattress) for that year. Donate it back when you move. For what you'll pay to move the stuff there and back, you could buy a lot of furniture.