Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 8 months ago

How do I find out what I want to do with my life? (at 18 years old)?

I'm 18 and about to leave for college (my major is Nursing). I thought I had it all planned out, but now I'm not sure what I want to do. In addition to feeling lost/unsure, I feel like if I don't choose the right thing, I will feel like I missed out on something. When I was younger, I was never in any extracurricular activities. I played the flute in band class (5th grade-senior year) and I didn't really like it. I only did it because my mom wanted me to go to a certain school. Please give me any advice you can, and thank you in advance.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

If you're thinking nursing - but are not 100% sure - go to a Vocational/Licensed Practical Nursing program. They are only 1 year (instead of 2 for a Associate RN or 4 for a BS RN) and then you can start working. If you like it, there are LPN to RN "bridge" programs where you work and attend classes (and, if you are in a nursing shortage area, your hospital employer will usually pay for your schooling).

If, after obtaining your LPN you decide you don't like nursing all that much, well, you can still attend school for something else while you work as a PT LPN.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

Do various things with it.

At your age I wanted to be a musician and composer and bought a bunch of instruments - clarinet, viola, trompet, guitar - and classes to achieve that goal. Soon later I realized it was difficult, didn't pay well and took a long time for me to sound even decently, thus I quit.

At 19 I figured I wanted to be a psychologist; one evening while listening to a guided meditation or music realized I'm far too sensitive to be dealing with people's problems everyday, so quit my already made enrolment in university. Similar thing happened in the same year with a pedagogy course and last month with a bachelor's in language and linguistics.

Today with almost 21 I feel like I'm meant to be instead an agronomist, which is basically a guy that studies crop production scientifically. To be honest with you, I don't know if I'll change my mind more times, but right now this is what I want to be and got to discover it only after trying before.

• 7 months ago

Relax. Most kids you age are going though similar things. Most kids are worried, scare, anxious, and excited about going off to college. It is a big change. The thing you have to realize is that you are barely at the beginning of your adult life and that nothing is set in stone. If you decide that nursing isn't your thing, you can change your major. If you want to try clubs or intramural sports, feel free. If a decade from now you want to change careers, you can.

There are millions of people who have changed majors, changed jobs, changed careers, taken up new things in their 30s, 40 and on into their 70's and 80s.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Why do you think you have to know at the age of only 18? You don't.

You can become a nurse or change your major between now and the beginning of your junior year. You have time to decide. You can even change careers AFTER becoming a nurse. I know two people who did that. They went back to school and got master's degrees in entirely different fields.

Give yourself a break and stop worrying about it. If nursing really interests you right now, take the courses you need to for the next two years but be open to other possibilities. One of the purposes of college is to give you some time to figure some things out. Take advantage of the opportunities it offers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

If you live an average lifespan, you still have more than 60 years to catch up on things you missed out on the first time. You can choose something else later if your first choice doesn't work out for you. We all miss out on something. No one can do everything.

Shall I use my mother, now 86 years old, as an example? In her mid forties she went to school after years of secretarial work and got a degree in social work. In her sixties, she took an art class and became a pretty good painter. She told me before her first class that she hadn't done any drawing since grade school. There was no time until she finished raising a family and having a career.

You can only make decisions with the information you have available at the time. At 18, you don't have much information about yourself or the world in general. Later, you'll have more info, and can make another decision if you want to.

• drip
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Nursing is a great field to go into. You can make good money. And it can give you wide choice of jobs.

Don’t feel you are stuck for the rest of your life.

My husband has a degree in journalism. Then got a degree in computer programming. He is now a consultant.

My friend , her sister and mother opened a dance studio. It was successful and they had it for years. When it was destroyed in a tornado she took the opportunity to switch fields. She went into nursing and worked at that while her daughter was in school. Then open her own business, doing nails and glamour parties for kids. She had a big business doing nail and hair for HS dancing’s and some weddings.

She morph into a nail school. That did very well and she sold the business and got a larger place in a strip mall. She expanded the nail program and then added on a hair program too. She now has expanded her place twice and has a cosmetology school for nails, hair and skin.

My cousin started off as a nurse at a hospital. Really didn’t like it. Switched to a nursing home and did like it there. She ended up going into the administration aspect of the nursing home.

People can and do switch fields. Nursing is a great first field. You should easily find a job.

You may not find what you live to do until you are older.

At college join in on clubs and organization that interest you. It is a great way to meet friends in a smaller setting.

Take an elective class or two in a subject out of your regular field of study. Something that sparks your interest,

• 8 months ago

I didn't find out what I wanted to do until I was 30. The important thing is that you get a college degree, because that leaves open all kinds of possibilities for the future. We live so long now that we don't have to prepare for one thing and do that thing for 40 years. I know someone who majored in math, decided she wanted to go overseas, got a master's degree in teaching ESL, taught in another country for two years, came back and taught math for a couple of years, and then decided that what she really wanted to do was be a nurse, so she went through an accelerated program to be an R. N. You have plenty of time to figure things out.

• 8 months ago

You've been admitted to a nursing program, which indicates that you have some smarts. So you start out in nursing to see if you like it and can manage the program. You talk to your advisor about your doubts and how to work through that. If you find that you don't like nursing, then you look at other possible careers such as medical administration or physical therapy or medical social work.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

You could see a careers guidance counsellor who might be able to help.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.