Vin asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 5 months ago

I recently moved to the U.S. and I have put some money in 2 non US startups. How should this be reported (given these are not fin'l account?

1 Answer

  • 5 months ago

    There is no FBAR requirement for direct investment in overseas businesses. If you receive dividends, interest, capital gains from the sale of shares etc, this needs to be reported as foreign source income on your US tax return.

    You will probably be required to pay tax on this income in the country where the business is located but may be able to offset against your US tax liability depending on double taxation treaties between the two countries,

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.