How to keep car battery from going dead when I only drive it at most 10 miles a month?

to not waste fuel and save money I dont leave it running any longer than neccessary. and we barely use it more than 10 miles a month. so every couple months the battery dies and we need to leave it on a charger overnight or get a jumpstart.

also how often should I change the oil if it mostly sits around?

Could I hook up a small 20W solar panel and suction cup it to one of the windows and run the panel to a solar charge controller and then to the 12v accessory outlet to keep it topped up? our 12v accessory outlet is always on. direct connection via 8awg wire to the fuse block via a 25A fuse

car is just started once per month. drive to grocery store. then on our way back home we drop off the bills. thats it really. only about 5 to 10 miles at most round trip.

• Dave

Use a battery charger made that can be connected full time to the car often called a trickle charger. I use one on my corvette when I'm not driving it in the winter. As for fluids, use the low mileage maintenance schedule in your owners manual. The maintenance is usually done on a monthly basis rather than mileage.

• Alexis16 months agoReport

I cant do that where i live. i live in an apartment building. car is exposed. sidewalk in the way. cant run wires across it.

• hi Alex :) the oil on your car needs a change after some specific milage, only the miles count, not the time, you may just change when you hit your milage limit with the oil you are running in your car,

well if we talk about your battery,

one of my friend was having the same problem and the situation scenario that you have he his ownself reconditions and recharges his battery from http://bit.ly/2XLttEx

it's a complete step by step guide to your problem :)

Source(s): A friend

Sometimes I don't drive my car all month. A few times the battery went so low the radio lost its settings. I got a small solar charger that I leave on the dash now- it's about a foot long- and its connected to the battery with alligator clips. It has not died since I put that on. That solar panel worked for me. When I drive the car I make sure to get it hot enough to burn off condensation in the crankcase- that's important. When I change the oil, I always use engine flush to get rid of sludge and varnish and just do annual oil changes. Only other suggestion I have it you get a portable, rechargeable booster so you can jumpstart your car by yourself if ever needed.

10 miles a month? How many times did you start the car in that month.?

They use liquid so you get a visual idea of what is happening. Your battery is LIKE A FULL PITCHER OF WATER. Every time you use the starter to start the motor, it is like you taking a BIG GULP OUT OF THE PITCHER. The alternator is replacing that water like you are peeing into the PITCHER.(so it takes awhile to replace one time starting-like driving for 10 minutes at 60MPH....if you go that long you pretty well have replaced all the liquid (or charge you took out of the battery) If you drive less than that then the pitcher of water(or battery power ) is lower. Every time you start it requires you drive about 60 miles in the daytime so you do not need headlights or windshield wipers as they too take power from battery.. So you can only repeat this LOSER type of driving so many times before the battery is dead (you drank all the water out of the pitcher and did not replace it) That is because of your style of driving.

I would get a 10Amp12volt battery charger....and hook it up once a month overnight...to the battery and put back in the missing electrical charge.

Don't go for anything less than 10A. Amp is the current flow or the size of the Pee stream filling up the pitcher(when I use the liquid example). I have had my charger for 30 years and it works as good today as it did brand new. Mine is also a 6 volt battery charger as there are some vehicles that have 6 volt batteries. It is an investment, but you can buy it at a Goodwill store or second hand store or Army/Navy or Autoparts store or Sally Anne sometimes or in a yard sale...for a few bucks. I bought mine at Sears or about the time I got my first car. Not jumper cables. A battery charger. I have used it multiple times for various batteries on various vehicles. It is an overnight charge if the battery is fully dead. If the battery has some life as yours would after 1 month then maybe 4 hours would be enough(still I would leave it overnight because I like to sleep) As the battery charger is 120 volt you need an extension cord from the house to the car or park the car near the house so you can plug it in or take the battery out of the car and hook it up to the battery charger.

Or just drive more. You are really severe on your battery. You are also SEVERE on the oil because it just collects water.

Am doubting the solar panel thing will do anything for charging your battery.(for the battery resists being charged and your charger has to overcome the resistance to put a charge into the battery.

Jumpstarting is a waste of time because your battery is almost dead. It needs a charge. This whole operation is going to make that battery die prematurely(with a life of 3 years instead of about 7) That is a fact.

• fuzzy

You re killing the engine - 10 miles (unless it s done in one run) will not allow the engine to get to full working temperature.

As others have written sell the car & use the proceeds to hire taxis when you need to go out

• Fred

There are small solar panels designed to keep vehicle batteries fully charged when they don't get used often. The other thing is a small electronic battery charger which shuts off when the battery is fully charged so the battery does not overcharge and boil, damaging it. Most of the solar panel jobs plug into the cigarette lighter plug so in some cars the keys would have to be left in the ignition and set to accessories to work. The car would also have to be parked where the solar panel sits in sunlight and reaches the car. Likely the small electronically controlled battery charger would have to be hooked up to the battery for several hours a month to keep the battery charged. Likely one charge a month would keep the battery in good condition.

It is a good idea once in a while to take the car for a good drive out on the open road as cars that do short drives can develop problems with glazing in the cylinders which can cause the car to struggle with acceleration or holding any speed if you take it out in a country road where you drive at 50 miles an hour or more. Glazing of cylinders can also cause oil rings to not work properly and the car uses more oil as it gets past the rings. People with big V8s who crawl short distances in the city have the most problems with glazing. A country drive seems to clear the cylinder glazing and the car runs a lot better.

Go to your local car parts supplier and likely they can sort you out with a suitable product for keeping the battery charged..

Per your update 3 - there are solar chargers built for the purpose that plug directly into the 12V socket.

• JetDoc

If the car is parked outside, you can get a solar battery charger that will keep your battery pumped up enough to start it once a month. If it's kept inside a garage, buy a trickle charger for the battery. They're fairly inexpensive

• Eva

You might better sell it and use uber or rent a car when you need one. it would be cheaper than maintaining and paying insurance on the one you have. Otherwise put a trickle charger on it.

• Lv 7

OR, he could be gender reassignment surgery and let guys drive her around?

disconnect the negative cable from the battery when you aren't using the car, hook it back up when you drive the car.