alex asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 7 months ago

Parents won't let me have a motorcycle!?

I'm going to make this a short story, money isn't the problrm, I have enough to pay for it.

I said to my dad that I will take every precaution, buy all the gear and he can watch me train and help me etc...

He still won't budge, he thinks they are all death machines and everyone who gets on one will die according to him.

I've wanted a bike for as long as I can remember and I have ridden before in garden's on friends bikes, I've offered everything in terms of compromising and letting him be there for everthing etc. SOMEONE HELP PLEASE !!

buy it yourself

• Edna

Motorcycles are dangerous, no matter how safe a rider you might be. It's not necessarily YOU - it's the motorists on the highway. For one thing, motorists driving cars just don't "see" a motorcycle. Or a motorist is unable to judge how FAST a motorcycle is traveling and they can't judge an approaching cycle's closing speed. A motorist might see an approaching cycle, but he thinks he has plenty of time to make a left turn in front of him. The motorcycle ends up T-boning the car at full speed. It doesn't matter who's at fault - the person on the motorcycle still ends up dead or very seriously injured.

My nephew was 25 years old and wanted to buy a motorcycle. He went over to a friend's house to take a test ride on the cycle the friend was selling. My nephew rode about 1-1/2 miles down a Farm-to-Market road. He was turning around to go back to the friend's house when the front wheel of the cycle hit the end of a culvert in front of a house alongside the road. The culvert wasn't visible because there were tall weeds growing around it. The impact of hitting the culvert threw him 150 feet over the handlebars and broke his neck. He was killed instantly.

• edward

Then don’t get a bike, easy. I had a generic Honda CB1100 EX, good starter bike. Similar to a Honda Civic as a starter car. I used it for one year when i was 16. I bought a couple more. One Suzuki Hayabusa and one Yamaha YZF R3, if you can’t already tell i prefer the crotch rockets but they go a lot faster and you ride them lower and farther forward so they can be a lot more dangerous. Not to mention they go a lot faster than a normal bike. Don’t be that idiot who wears a black jacket at night while on a bike, wear something that’ll almost blind the people driving around like a construction vest on top of your jacket...that was the rule my parents set for me. My bikes sit in the garage collecting dust now though, i use them one day a year for a fundraiser thing.

• Lita

Wait until you are old enough and capable of living on your own as a fully independent adult. Once you are living on your own, buy a bike.

I agree with your parents since you are only 15, when you leave their home you can get one

Source(s): your profile

If you are under legal age and under their roof you have no recourse but to wait.

Sign up for a MSF Basic Riders Course and pass that to smooth things over.

My mother rode motorcycles back in the 1930-40s and had no problem with me getting my first street-bike and my father watched me ride dirt-bikes and said okay. Was 14 1/2 (legal age in Calif at the time) for a permit and got my license 6 months later.

REMEMBER- There is one easy rule to staying alive while riding- PAY ATTENTION 110% to riding and everything going on around you because riding is not the safest means of transportation. Know, been there.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs.
  • Dimo

I want you to start driving on a motorcycle -- you will do a lot less damage/injuries to others.

Arguments for a motorcycle:

I have been riding the streets on a pedal bicycle for over 5 years, a motorcycle easier than pedaling.

I want a 30 mph 50cc moped, barely faster than a pedal bicycle.

Arguments against your claims:

Statistically, "gear" is useless. Gear is for feeling safer so you can go faster. You are actually safer without.

You are not taking "every precaution". Best precaution is to NOT ride.

I did not get my first motorcycle was until I was 18, when my widow mother couldn't say no.

So long as you are under parental control do as Dad says.

Once you are old enough to legally make your own life decisions then buy a motorcycle if you want to but don't go crying to your father when you kill yourself or worse still, end up as a cabbage for life

As a parent I cannot back you up. When you become an adult then you can make your own decisions of this sort. Unfortunately the statistics are against you. Motorcycle riders have 35 TIMES more accidents and 28 TIMES more fatal accidents overall than car drivers do and teen riders and drivers have 3-5 times more accidents than adults do, meaning that statistically you have roughly 100 times greater chance of dying on a bike than in a car. It doesn't matter how much you plead that you'll take every precaution - if something happens to you your parents will be devastated, so while it is within their control they're not going to allow you to own a bike.

Ask for a horse instead

• Starlight 1

Yes, not only have I heard of them, I've been IN a few of them. Most horse owners and people who ride generally have had at least one accident in their lives.