Alex asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 7 months ago

Is there a way to prepare for plants being left alone over long breaks?

I'm in University and last winter I had a succulent, ppl say they're hard to raise but mine has been managing with minimal care even when I left it to fend for itself over winter and spring break. I guess it might be because they don't need as much water but this coming up school year I want to get more plants to hang all around my room. I won't be able to just take them home with me though when breaks come up (I live hours away) and since I'm in a dorm no one will just be stopping by that can check up. Am I worried for no reason about getting an extra responsibility or is there a way for me to care for them so they'll be fine even if I'm gone for 2-3 weeks? If not I'd rather not waste money buying some

Favorite Answer

Succulents like periods of dry neglect, for some this is a seasonal requirement.

If you want other plants besides succulents, there are some excellent choices that can easily survive 2-3 weeks of no attention. Sanseveria, pothos, philodendron, spider plants, creeping Charlie, wandering Jew pepperomia, all of those plants can survive 2-3 weeks without being watered. There are also orchids, air plants and the succulents that are considered the orchids of succulents that can survive periods of no water.

That being said, the above is true when the plants are happy where they are. Any plant left in too dark or bright or cool or hot or humid or dry spot for that species will struggle and the stress of no attention won’t do it any more favors.

For most plants, proper placement is about the most important consideration. It needs the right amount of light and humidity, and then if it’s a reasonably hardy plant, it can survive some degree of neglect.

Succulents need a lot of very very bright light and like to dry out between waterings. If you can provide that, they’ll be super happy. Senseveria can survive with very little light and also likes to be fairly dry. Spider plants have fat, succulent roots that will help them survive long periods of drought, they are an excellent choice for students as they can survive in a whole range of environments.

Avoid ferns, begonias, any sort of plant that requires a moist environment that will be hard to keep humid enough in a normal house.

For orchids, stitch with phaelonopsis, very easy to keep going so long as you provide bright, indirect light, don’t overwater them and let them dry out now and then.

African violets are another great one for students, so long as. You have them in the right spot they will thrive and can even be left for a couple of weeks, although they do prefer a weekly drink.

I’d say figure out what sort of light you have in the spots you want to put plants and get plants appropriate to that light. Having plants in any space brings life int he space and actually improves the air quality as well as the “vibe” and overall feel and energy of a space. An exuberantly growing plant cannot be beaten for livening up an otherwise static space.

You can soak the soil since you are going to be gone for a couple of weeks. Just make sure that the pots have proper drainage and they get a lot of sun. They should be all set for 2-3 weeks without water.

There are things you can add to the soil in the pot that help retain water.

or you can try the wicking system below

There sure is. Just leave saucers of water lying around the floor so that if they get thirsty they'll probably extend their roots out to suck it up.

Most people overwater succulents. They do best when treated in a similar manner to the environment they come from. This means allowing the soil to completely dry out first before watering. They store water for a reason!

You can buy simple automatic watering devices for pot plants. Google it. You can also use a compost additive that retains water.

Plants are allergic to neglect. They will get watery eyes and runny nose. Dry Mouth. Rashes.

Source(s): Im calling PPS. Plant Protective Services