Moving to nyc?

Ok so I’m 17 I’m planning on moving to nyc if I get a part time job how long would it take me to save 5 thousand dollars? I know you’re probably thinking you’re gonna need a lot more then 5k to move to nyc but trust me I’ll be fine I know people who moved to nyc with the same amount of money or even less plus my mom pays for my phone bill and I don’t have any bills to pay whatsoever so if I say my entire pay checks and put it all into my bank account how long would it take to save 5 thousand and i live in North Carolina so I’ll probably be making at least 8.50$ an hour so yeah thank you so much in advance!!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

With a part time job in NYC, it will probably take about a month to accumulate more than $5,000 in DEBT.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

$5,000 won't support you for more than one month in NYC. What will you do when you become homeless on Day 32 ?

Plus, without a job paying at least that much per month, after taxes, you have NO hope to lease any kind of apartment there.

• 6 months ago

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and am originally from NY. Trust me - you won't make it on $5000

• MS
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It depends on how many hours you work and what else you spend your money on. You should be able to figure that out.

You cannot move to NYC at 17, although I imagine it would take you until you're at least 18 to save up that money. You must be at least 18 to enter a rental contract. However, you absolutely cannot move to NYC with only $5,000 in the bank and no job prospects there. A minimum wage job will not support you in NYC.

• ...Show all comments
    • MS
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

That's not entirely true. Certain places, yes. Not all. Proof of finances is generally required at anywhere worth moving into.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

How cute a country bumpkin and a dream

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

My reaction, exactly.

• LILL
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Unless you make over $50.00 an hour, you will never survive in Manhattan.

• 6 months ago

You have no clue. You cannot enter a contract until you are 21, and must show proof of ongoing employment, and a full month of rent as a security. In NYC, a 1BR tiny place will run over $2K a month. The further out you go - no longer living in NYC - the cheaper the rent, but then you have commuting expenses. And COMPETITION is insane because you are hardly the first person who wants to do this. We live 90 minutes away from NYC and COL is far lower here - and we get into the city as often as we want to enjoy ourselves. Most professional people do the same thing. Unless you are making several hundred grand a year MINIMUM, living in NYC is not for you. Heck, you are a country kid with rotten math skills, and zero common sense. And zero life experience. Read all the other posts just like yours - although we doubt you will believe and if the answers.

• 6 months ago

wow. okay.

if you earn 8.50 a hour, after taxes, etc, you will actually only earn around 6.00 a hour.

Assuming you put ALL the money in the bank: $5,000/6.00 a hour = 833 hours. If you work full time, 40 hours a week: 833 hours/40 hours a week = 21 weeks to save $5,000.

• 6 months ago

You'll have to work 588 hours to earn $5,000 gross pay. How many weeks or months that will take we can't tell you, because you didn't say how many hours per week or month you will work. We also don't know what deductions your employer will take off your pay. Your $8.50 an hour might have shrunk to $7 an hour by the time you get the paycheque and then you will have to work 714 hours to end up with $5000 in your pocket, assuming that you never spend a dime of your pay on anything.

I'd say that someone who can't figure out how long it will take them to earn or save a certain amount is not well prepared for living on their own. I could have figured it out when I was 12 and earning my money from babysitting and paper routes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.