Should I use washable paint or stamp ink?

I am doing a gender reveal this Saturday and one of the decorations I have made is a tree I painted onto stretch canvas. The idea is the there will be three options (either paint or stamp ink) in pink, blue, or green. Each person attending is suppose to put their thumbprint of whichever color (pink and blue for if they think it's a girl or boy or green if they don't know). The problem I'm having is trying to figure out if it would be better to use washable paint or stamp ink for the thumbprints. I was originally going to use stamp ink, but now I think it may not work as good as the paint.

• drip
    Favorite Answer

Does it have to be their thumbprint?? You could use a rubber stamp.

Paint will leave an oval, not a print. And paint will be messy to use. How will you have it out for them to put their thumb in to it?

There are washable ink pads for kids. Or you can use dye ink and have a baby wipe ready for them to wipe off their thumb. Cleaner and easier. I use ink pad often. A dye ink will come off. A pigment ink stays too wet too long,

Can I suggest not using green, just let them pick a boy or girl. That is the fun of it. The point of it. And Some guest may be confused on the green.

Test both methods on a scrap piece of cloth to see which medium works the best.

Paint on a thumb or fingertip would generally leave just an oval shape, while stamp pad ink would leave a more defined fingerprint, in most cases. You just have to decide which look you want to go for.

But I don't see the point of offering the guest the choice of green. Unless you have a lot of guests, your tree is going to look pretty naked. Perhaps you should fill in all the green leaf shapes yourself, ahead of time, and then the guests would just be adding their color choices over the top of the leaves, like fruit.

Just get regular paint and buy a lot of wipes so they could clean their thumb...

Or, at the gender reveal, you could have everyone go to a color they think is the baby's gender and you reveal the color by whichever method you want...