I just realised the tail lights on my rental car aren't working, what should I do?

I'm at the grocery store and someone just came over and told me after I parked that my tail lights aren't working, I got this car as a rental while mine is being repaired after a crash and the place isn't open on Sunday for some reason!!! Am I legally allowed to drive this car with no tail lights? The brake lights are working fine just no tail lights.. I'm going to have to miss work Monday morning to take the car back but now I'm worried of getting in an accident or having the rental company somehow blame ME for the tail lights being out what do I do here I'm so annoyed this has been the week form hell!!!!!

The most likely reason your taillights are not on is because you didn’t turn on the headlight switch. On some cars the daytime running lights come on automatically, but the taillights will not come on until you run on the switch for the headlights.

• Terrence B

I used to work near an airport and I used to see this all of the time.

• zipper

Take it back to who you rented it from, they will either fix it or give you a different vehicle to drive.

You have daytime running lights (which looks like a headlight but you cannot switch to high beam.(the blue indicator light on the speedo). Most likely when you turn the end of the signal light stem the headlights do flick on. When they do, the tail lights turn on...for night time driving. Experiment with the signal light stem and you see it rotates, then if you pull back on it you will hear a click and a blue light comes on the speedo to tell you you are running with the HIGH beams on. The other click is the low beams(both are still headlights). Sit in car right now and have the engine running. Then you know the electrical is on. Then fiddle with the controls. Then you know. It is very easy to run all day and into night with street lamps on. To have just my running lights on also means the rear license plate light is not on(that is what cops get you on...no visible lit plate). Driver unfamiliarity, that is all it is.

• JetDoc

Did you use the switch to turn the headlights lights on, or have you been driving with just the "daytime running lights"?

• M.

Right!! So many people do that! 👍👍

• bubba

Just play some Buffalo Tom and you will be ok

• drip

We rent cars frequently. Usually from Enterprise. The few times we have had trouble with a rental, they came to us with a new car. Don’t wait for your rental car office to open, call the 800 number

• Speed

I used to work for Avis.

When one of our cars broke down or malfunctioned, we would exchange it at no cost for a similar vehicle. The only issue was that we didn't have extra staff to do this, and it took two if the rental was undriveable in its present condition. So you might have to wait for the exchange wherever you were when the car broke down, maybe for hours.

You want to avoid that, I assume.

If it's daytime where you are, drive to the nearest location of the rental company. (If possible, drive to the location where you rented it, so they'll be the ones dealing with their own problem.) Phone ahead to tell them--not ask, but tell, politely but firmly--that your rental vehicle has an electrical problem affecting the tail lights and you are coming in to exchange it. Return it to the rental lot as if you were turning it in at the end of a rental. Note the mileage and the gas gauge reading. By calling ahead, you've given them time to find a similar vehicle on their lot, get it washed and gassed, and the swap should only take a few minutes.

• Ron

Maybe turn the headlights on and the taillights will work

• David

As far as the rental company is concerned the car was in 100% perfect condition when it was handed over to you and you are responsible to pay for any repairs needed to it when you hand the car back to them.

If you’re in charge of, and driving any vehicle, then you are solely responsible for that vehicle.

If the tail lights are not working, then you would be punished if stopped by the police, or an accident happens in relation to the tail lights.

The rental company are responsible for repairing the lights, but you’re the driver.

• M.

Absolutely true! 👍