Why can’t I know my IQ? Are others allowed to? Are my parents lying to me?

Both of my parents are very smart people, with their IQs being in the 130’s, and my Uncle’s IQ being in the 150’s. My parents told me people aren’t allowed to know their IQs and that they only know theirs because they stole the information. Im 14 and a sophomore in high school (once school starts). I was also told you take IQ tests around 1st grade. Are my parents lying; and if so, why?

Favorite Answer

Let me ask you this: how do you feel about your parents and your uncle making their IQ known? I'm not saying their like this, but there are far too many people who wave their IQ around others their whole lives and carry an air of superiority. Regardless, what I'd like to point out is that you knowing your parents' and uncle's IQ is causing you anxiety because you feel you need to measure up and you aren't allowed to know yours. Maybe you feel that yours isn't very high, or that it's higher than average, but less than your parents' or uncle's. Or, maybe it's higher than theirs. This feels unfair to you and, while I don't think knowing your IQ will change your life, you can always get an IQ test via MENSA or through an accredited professional when you're an adult. In the end, IQ is not what carries you through life, but motivation/drive, focus, and Emotional Quotient (EQ) will take you far. More and more workplaces are administering EQ tests to applicants, as they're recognizing its worth. I would recommend working on your EQ. It is a far greater tool in every aspect of life. All the best!

There are some free IQ tests you can take online that are fairly accurate. When you turn 18, MENSA tends to do IQ testing for under $100.

You are allowed to see it. They’re lying. You could also take another one.

You may not be allowed to know your scores now, but this has more to do with your being a minor (someone under 18 years of age) than it does with the actual score itself. Once you turn 18 and become a legal adult, you can arrange to have a test done, and the examiner who gives it to you is required by law to share the results with you. Your parents didn't "steal" the information about their scores, either, because that information is available to any adult who requests it. I think they are exaggerating about how high their scores are, too. We'd all love to have a 150 IQ, but few if any of us ever get to that level. I know people with PhD's and medical degrees who don't have IQ's that high. It's not a big deal, and nobody is going to discriminate against you if your score is lower than that. Quit worrying about it.

• Kai5 months agoReport

I have a 206 IQ... 150’s not that much

You can take the test on line. Having a high IQ does not mean you have any "Common Sense" or "Street Smarts" Or intelligence. IQ means nothing to me. Many so called "hi IQ people are blithering idiots.

I don't know what my IQ is....but I know a hell of a lot more stuff than others and my dad was a virtual Encyclopedia. There was a TV show called "Reach for the Top" where colleges competed against other colleges...as questions are asked.

. Now while that may not interest you; my day could answer the majority of the questions before they did AND HE HAS GRADE 8 SCHOOLING. Especially when it came to foreign lands outside of the U.S., he knew where, who ruled, when and how long. US politics or presidents he did not know that much about them because U.S. stuff was not his main focus. Actually that is only for U.S. students to know and they sometimes failed. His knowledge of chemistry was not that good or mechanics but that is such a small part of the world. Most of the social issues he knew. As a European immigrant he blew those college and university kids out of the water. And my dad just works in Construction.

. What do you call that for smarts? Intelligence or memory knowledge?

Your parents STOLE THEIR INFORMATION? It is not secured because it is not important. They could have got it or just lied to you. It really does not matter.

Your intelligence is not that high or you would have figured that out by now. Checking a few web sites and you would be able to test and know.

• thinkingtime

Reach for the top was a general knowledge show. I was on it in the UK

Go online and get an IQ test, my IQ is just right above a mentally disabled person by a margin. See if you don't score any better

• drip

You can pay to get your IQ tested through a medical professional.

• Marduk

You are being punked.

Got my IQ through a Mensa test, as an adult. Edit: Tests as young children are not reliable. Neither are online tests.

• Lôn

You can take an IQ test any time you like...online even...you will be given your score.