Fear of riding a moped?

Just passed my cbt and I'm so glad to finally be able to get on the road. I am looking forward to getting myself a scooter. After hearing of a certain youtubers death last night in a road accident its suddenly dawned on me that I can actually die on the road. Of course you can't let the risk of death stopping you do things. Any words that can put my mind at ease?

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Bill

Reread Tim's reply.

Riding is a risk/reward activity. I ride because, to me, the mental rewards to riding outweigh the risk I'm assuming. Put close to a thousand miles a month on all kinds of roads, traffic, and weather, and will continue to do so until I sense the risk is too great for what I get out of riding.

Only you can make your choice.

• Tim D

Far more people survive than die.

I have seen and been a participant of several accidents. In nearly every case, including mine, the rider made a choice that made an accident more likely (even if that choice was perfectly legal).

So get into the mindset that although you are riding according to the Highway Code you are going to come off worse in almost all situations. So keep your distance, don't ride faster than you believe is safe in the conditions, don't try to keep up with your mates and stop watching the idiocy that appears on certain YouTube channels – remember all you need to be a YouTuber is a camera and a lack of self awareness.

Get a moped that can keep up with traffic, a lot safer that way. If you are 16 restricted at 30mph, derestrict the bike. 100% worth the risk. Best advice is to always pay attention on the road. You will need to be quick to think and aware of other drivers and then you will be fine. Most accidents are from drivers not seeing you so I'd recommend a colourful bike, clothing or helmet to stand out. In the end, death is inevitable if you ride or not. Put it this way, I'd rather die doing what I love, than die being miserable. Once you ride a few times you will feel more comfortable. If you are nervous on your first ride, ride with someone you know and it will put you at ease because you won't feel alone on the road.

Worry more about being raped as they can run after you and catch you.

Respect the fear and pay attention while riding.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs.

On 2 wheels a bit of fear makes you think, and keeps you safe. You don't have to be totally paranoid, just around half the others are out to get you. The other half probably haven't seen you.

There are risks in life everyday. You can get killed in a car accident, struck by lightning, bitten by a snake, run over, fall and die, etc. Life if full of risks. If you can accept the danger and ride responsibly and defensively then ride. If you cannot accept the risk then by all means do not ride.

• JetDoc

You ARE going to die, Skippy. It's just a matter of when and how. Would you choose to spend your life cowering under the covers in your own little bed, or would you prefer to get out and enjoy the adventures that this big, wide world has to offer?

Source(s): More than 50 years of motorcycle riding experience and still around to talk about it.
  • Pete L

A car is MUCH safer than a motorbike, scooter or moped because you have metal surrounding you in case of an accident. On a bike there's no protection.